New(ish) Pool Owner Looking to Learn

Jun 3, 2015
Austin
Hello TFP folks!

This is the first house I've owned/lived in with a pool. The last few years have been a systematic series of trial, error, successes, and massive failures. I've often thought I had things going just fine and then wound up having to call in professionals to clean up after me. And I've tried to ask as many questions of them when they come, but my education is spotty and reaction-based at best. I want to become a more pro-active and confident pool owner.

Because of decades of built up staining, slow leaks, and erratic care we had our white plaster pool refinished with Sunstone Quartz (in a medium-dark blue color) last summer. And I hope to have a jandy valve and return line replaced on my pump soon to help with some issues I've had losing prime.

But to start off here I'd like to ask for guidance about my pool levels. I have a "Complete Poolcare DPD Test Kit" from Leslie's and have just recently begun using some "Smart Test 4-way Combo" strips for quick and dirty numbers. This afternoon I used the test kit and here are the levels I noted:

FC <1
CC <1
ph 7.0 (base demand test: 7 drops to pH 7.4-7.6, corresponds in booklet for the addition of ~8 lbs of soda ash)
CYA <30

With all the rain and debris I've had making a b-line to my pool over the past few weeks, it's been tricky to keep up. The pool water at least now looks great (clear and debris-free) but I have some staining that I can't seem to scrub clean and I want to get ahead of this before things go further South--particularly with regards to having a ~0 chlorine reading (in spite of shocking the pool recently & repeatedly with both liquid and granular shock).

Please let me know what other measurements I need to take or if this is enough to go on. Just looking for guidance on where to start!

Thanks so much!
-Davide

Well, certainly the first thing to do is get your FC up, and pH a bit too. Daily testing, at least until you understand the pool usage, is what's needed to not let it get out of control. You don't have a salt system right?

Look over, in Pool School (link at top right), the recommended levels for your pool. Then plug in the values in Pool Math and you'll see exactly what you need to add to get where you want to. Soon you'll quickly be on your way to being confident in what you're doing.

Davide, we commend you for trying so hard initially to take charge of your pool. But you can expect to hear others repeat this .... best to stay out of the pool stores. They simply do not provide reliable advice, and many of the products they sell result in frustration and little to no effect on your pool. We also do not recommend the pool store's test kits as they do not read all levels appropriately. Wish we would've caught you before you spent some $$ at the local store. :( Please consider getting one of the recommended test kits as note in my TF-100 link below. Also, take a few moments to read the other links below in my sig as they serve to help new pool owners like yourself get a handle on the whole concept of pool maintenance. You'll be surprised how easy it is if you follow the guidance in the links below. Having said all of that ... welcome! :wave: