Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New(ish) Pool Owner Looking to Learn

1. Back To Top    #1

New(ish) Pool Owner Looking to Learn

Hello TFP folks!

This is the first house I've owned/lived in with a pool. The last few years have been a systematic series of trial, error, successes, and massive failures. I've often thought I had things going just fine and then wound up having to call in professionals to clean up after me. And I've tried to ask as many questions of them when they come, but my education is spotty and reaction-based at best. I want to become a more pro-active and confident pool owner.

Because of decades of built up staining, slow leaks, and erratic care we had our white plaster pool refinished with Sunstone Quartz (in a medium-dark blue color) last summer. And I hope to have a jandy valve and return line replaced on my pump soon to help with some issues I've had losing prime.

But to start off here I'd like to ask for guidance about my pool levels. I have a "Complete Poolcare DPD Test Kit" from Leslie's and have just recently begun using some "Smart Test 4-way Combo" strips for quick and dirty numbers. This afternoon I used the test kit and here are the levels I noted:

FC <1
    CC <1
    ph 7.0 (base demand test: 7 drops to pH 7.4-7.6, corresponds in booklet for the addition of ~8 lbs of soda ash)
    CYA <30

With all the rain and debris I've had making a b-line to my pool over the past few weeks, it's been tricky to keep up. The pool water at least now looks great (clear and debris-free) but I have some staining that I can't seem to scrub clean and I want to get ahead of this before things go further South--particularly with regards to having a ~0 chlorine reading (in spite of shocking the pool recently & repeatedly with both liquid and granular shock).

Please let me know what other measurements I need to take or if this is enough to go on. Just looking for guidance on where to start!

Thanks so much!
    -Davide
    Howdy! I have a 16,0000-gallon, in ground, Sunstone Quartz-lined pool with a single skimmer attached to a Hayward Super II pump and Hayward Clean II DE filter, and an Aquabot Classic robotic cleaner. Pool kept full with well water (very hard) and in direct sun most of the day. This is the first pool I've been responsible for and I'm looking to learn as much as possible!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New(ish) Pool Owner Looking to Learn

Well, certainly the first thing to do is get your FC up, and pH a bit too. Daily testing, at least until you understand the pool usage, is what's needed to not let it get out of control. You don't have a salt system right?

Look over, in Pool School (link at top right), the recommended levels for your pool. Then plug in the values in Pool Math and you'll see exactly what you need to add to get where you want to. Soon you'll quickly be on your way to being confident in what you're doing.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

3. Back To Top    #3

Davide, we commend you for trying so hard initially to take charge of your pool. But you can expect to hear others repeat this .... best to stay out of the pool stores. They simply do not provide reliable advice, and many of the products they sell result in frustration and little to no effect on your pool. We also do not recommend the pool store's test kits as they do not read all levels appropriately. Wish we would've caught you before you spent some $$ at the local store. Please consider getting one of the recommended test kits as note in my TF-100 link below. Also, take a few moments to read the other links below in my sig as they serve to help new pool owners like yourself get a handle on the whole concept of pool maintenance. You'll be surprised how easy it is if you follow the guidance in the links below. Having said all of that ... welcome!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

No, no salt system. Will check out Pool School and go from there. Thanks!
    Howdy! I have a 16,0000-gallon, in ground, Sunstone Quartz-lined pool with a single skimmer attached to a Hayward Super II pump and Hayward Clean II DE filter, and an Aquabot Classic robotic cleaner. Pool kept full with well water (very hard) and in direct sun most of the day. This is the first pool I've been responsible for and I'm looking to learn as much as possible!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks! Will definitely look at getting a more accurate/recommended test kit as well as the links you suggested.

Glad I found y'all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP! Glad you're here. That test kit will make you look like a pool pro in no time!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP!

The two most important items
    Keep the chlorine level above the minimum level for your CYA level to avoid algae growth on the Chlorine CYA Chart
    Maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8

If your pool is consuming more than normal chlorine then you probably need to SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain your pool. You can Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to see if there is organic matter in your pool consuming chlorine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach