Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Collapse

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Collapse

I am currently fighting with my insurance company. My above ground pool collapsed to the ground sometime Saturday morning. At first insurance said they wouldn't cover it because they couldn't determine what caused it, there was no evidence of wind that day. Well I pulled weather reports left and right that said winds were up to 33mph. Now that they have this information they are telling me they're denying it because the skimmer and hose parts of the metal wall have some rust (only on the inside of the wall nothing on the outside of the wall) however the pool ripped from top to bottom down the middle of one section of the pool, not down a seam. How is it possible that the two are related!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Collapse

Was it full when this happened?

3. Back To Top    #3

yes unfortunately. Destroyed our yard our privacy fence and our neighbors yard. My insurance is a nightmare

4. Back To Top    #4

If I were you, I'd be very careful blasting, a now named insurance company, on an open forum.

Removed company name. jblizzle
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Time to hire an Attorney. You will need one with the insurance companies.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

6. Back To Top    #6

Sorry, I've already told them I was going to take to social media with my frustrations, 7 years with them not one claim. I just got the response back from the pool company who looked at our pool and she said she couldn't give even an educated guess as to what would have caused it to collapse, but it wasn't the little bit of rust in those two areas. I told them I was hiring an attorney.

7. Back To Top    #7

Get a public adjuster. Your insurer will either deny the claim or send out an adjuster who works for them and pay you as little as they want. A public adjuster will, at no cost to you initially, come out and review your policy and then fight with your insurance company to get you the best settlement possible based on the language that is actually written in your policy. There is a big difference between what they will get you as an independent adjuster than what an adjuster who works for the insurer will net you. They are paid a percentage of the final settlement, which is negotiated between you and the adjuster before they go to bat for you with the insurer. You pay them nothing to have them look at the damage and assess your policy.
    30 ft. round Aqua Leader agp with dished out center 23,800 gallons; 1.5 hp Hayward pro matrix pump; Hayward EC50 DE filter; solar panels; solar cover

8. Back To Top    #8

This really isn't the place to be blasting insurance companies. We don't do that here.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Sthomas87 View Post
    Sorry, I've already told them I was going to take to social media with my frustrations, 7 years with them not one claim.
    This is not going to help you one bit and could cause you some serious issues going forward. Defamation and all that.

Talk with an attorney or public adjuster. Do not go online, where everything is public and permanent, to vent your frustrations. It can very easily come back around to bite you in the backside.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

10. Back To Top    #10

I won't be bashing them on here, the name was deleted so I'll leave it at that. What I came here for was for this groups opinion on what could have caused the pool to collapse. I would like to try to upload pictures but it's not letting me.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the pool exactly 10 hours prior to collapse.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the pool exactly 10 hours prior to collapse.

- - - Updated - - -

And this is 10 hours later

- - - Updated - - -

And this is 10 hours later

- - - Updated - - -

No one in, near or around it that morning. We were swimming in it the night before and was fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Back To Top    #11

It left lose on the pump side so there could have been rust. If you want our opinion, your going to have to show us the wall where the pool opened up. That means cutting the liner away. We can't give you any info unless you provide us with more pictures of the actual tear in the wall.

How long have you owned this pool and have you ever replaced the gaskets around the skimmer and return? When was the last time?

12. Back To Top    #12

Bummer.

How common is a collapse like this?

Do most AG pools just end up leaking?
    18k gal AG Sand Filter K-2006

13. Back To Top    #13

My sister's 8 yr old AGP had what looked like surface rust in a straight line down from the return due to a slow leak. We had been having torrential rains and her pool was over-full. For whatever reason a few days later the metal ripped straight down the rust line, just like tearing a sheet of paper in half with results that look much like yours. Since water is constantly pushing against the sides of the pool and the rust line was a weakened area we figured there was just enough force to start a little tear and it gave way from there.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!