Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does this pump need to be replaced?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does this pump need to be replaced?

I'm guessing yes. It's 5 years old and progressively getting worse. Last year it didn't make quite as much noise.

Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does this pump need to be replaced?

You may have to do some research to see if it's the pump or the motor. If the pump itself checks out OK and it turns out to be the motor, you could replace just that with one of an equivalent Service Factor HP (SFHP). Whenever you replace the motor, always install a new shaft seal.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Does this pump need to be replaced?

Occasionally it will squeak too. The rod is a bit rusty, and I had to use a good amount of teflon tape and some teflon paste to keep it from dripping (threaded connection to the basket). Seems that enough of it needs replaced, buying new is the better choice.

It's a 2 HP 2-speed. I'm thinking about replacing it with a 1 HP 2 speed Hayward: SP15922S (Power-Flo Matrix). From the research I've done it seems that low speed GPM is enough for my Pentair Minimax 100 heater. Other than that I don't seem to have a need for 2 HP.

Currently it's still working, might as well run it in to the ground. Or until I can't stand the noise!
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]