My water is expensive! Is there an alternate way to lower CYA?

May 21, 2015
Northeast
I was wondering if there is another method to lower the CYA? My water is expensive and I dont want to have to drain all that water! My current readings are: FC 5, CC .5, pH 7.6, CYA 100, TA 120.

I have a 30000 gal vinyl inground, 24 sqft Hayward DE filter, 1.5 HP hayward single speed pump, Raytec gas heater, Polaris 280 cleaner, Taylor 2006 test kit and use bleach (lots of it it seems)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Yes, there are - but probably not available to you.

There are companies that uses a reverse osmosis system to strip the CH and CYA out of the pool water. It only seems to be available in the southwest of the US where their fill water is very high in CH.

Have you looked for options of trucking in water like these guys?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Sorry, you do not have RO service available in your area and there are no reliable chemical ways to lower it.
How much is your water? Partial refills are generally not as expensive as people think.
$5/1000 gallons is pretty typical ... so a 50% replacement would be $75.

Take this as a lesson to stop using the trichlor pucks ;)

I see you state you are using bleach, but that will not rise the CYA level. So how did the CYA get so high?

Also note your FC is too low for your CYA (assuming it is only 100 and not much higher) according to the FC/CYA Chart.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Welcome to TFP!

EDIT: I'm mostly repeating jblizzle here, but that is what I get for being a slow typer ;)

I imagine you are using a lot of bleach, but still not quite enough. At a CYA of 100 (and are you sure it is not over 100?) you need to maintain a MIN of 7 FC to prevent any problems. How much FC are you losing each day? If it is more than 1-2 then you might be on the verge of an algae problem.

You wouldn't need to replace all of your water. Even 30% would drop you down to a 70 CYA, which while still high is far more manageable. I know 10k gallons is a lot, but it would make things much easier. Unfortunately in NJ there aren't many alternatives. Reverse Osmosis is typically only available in the drought stricken west and still costs several hundred dollars. A new product called Bioactive claims to reduce CYA but we have seen almost no positive results from forum members. Really water exchange is probably your only real choice.

BTW, if you could put that pool info you posted in to your signature it would help us out in providing advice going forward. We would really appreciate it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.