Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anything that i can do now?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anything that i can do now?

Let me start by saying i have learned a ton of info here in less than a week of owning my first pool. I knew nothing before last week and feel pretty well equipped now to get started. So i went to the pool store and converted to a SWCG(pentair IC60) and had to SLAM to remove the algae. They told me what to do and i did as directed. Then i found your site. Before slamming they confirmed PH was good but water still needed to be balanced so 175$ later i walked out with 4 buckets of chemicals and 8 jugs of shock(bleach). I attached two pics here of before and after. I slammed sunday afternoon and have been vacuuming/brushing 1-2x day since work has been getting in the way. WAter in shallow end seems crystal clear but the deep end still seems like there is algae present. How long does the water stay in SLAM state? Do i need to SLAM again? My guess is yes or can i use the SWG boost to keep it in SLAM ? My TF-100 comes tomorrow so i assume i will be testing immediately after getting the kit but should i balance the water now or wait until everything is 100% clear and should i have water tested again by pool store or should i just wait for TF-100?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20x40 kidney IG vinyl liner built 2012
    27k gallon, Pentair IC60 SWG,
    pentair vs 3hp pump, triton sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anything that i can do now?

Welcome to TFP!!!

I think you are using the term SLAM incorrectly ... no pool store will use that term as it was created HERE at TFP to differentiate our process from what a pool store calls shocking.

Given your questions and lack of a test kit. There is no way you are following the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

And forget pool store testing ... not worth what you pay for it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Mc, it's a shame you didn't see TFP first before going to the pool store - we could have saved you some $$. Not to worry, it happened to most of us. As jblizzle stated, post those test results as soon as you get your kit and we'll be happy to advise. For now, other than regular bleach and/or the liquid shock (also bleach) you got from the pool store, don't put anything else in your pool until that kit arrives. Oh, and welcome!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks guys.... yes definitely using SLAM incorrectly. Continuing to learn- thank you. The pool store was nice enough to test the water for free but sell me 175$ worth of chemicals. Ok i will wait and see what the test says. Also what should i do with SWG? Should i continue to boost or turn it off completely?

5. Back To Top    #5

We usually recommend the SWG remain off for the SLAM process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks!