Chlorine logistics

May 26, 2015
Pahoa, HI
Good morning,

When (if) I get my cya down to 50ish, I want to experiment with this process. I can get a 53 gallon drum of 12.5% liquid chlorine for $193. It doesn't come with a dispenser, so I'll have to rig something. Any ideas are welcome. The state laws don't restrict hand feeding. This pool never closes, so what are the logistics for adding the chlorine? Right now we use chlorinator (now with unstabilized pucks) and the pumps run 24/7 so we get a steady feed. Currently, if I needed to do an old fashioned shock, or use algicide, it's done in the early morning before the swimmers show up.

I think I read that with TFPC it is most effective to add the bleach at the end of the day. If my cya is 50, my min fc is 4 and target is 6. The water is clear; everything is humming along. So I measure my chemistry in the am and I'm at fc of 4. The math calculator calls for 1.4 gallons of 12.5%. Do I wait until the pm or add it in the morning? How long should I wait before it's safe to re-enter the pool?

I inherited this pool, along with its procedures. Thanks to this site I'm rethinking things, but it has to work in the context of keeping the pool open at all times, so I'm somewhat hobbled.

I'm interested in hearing from the seasoned veterans that post here. How would you do it?

Thanks,

Mike

Just so you know, pucks are all stabilized.

Test results are only accurate at the time the sample was taken. If you wait hours before treating it won't require the same dosage. Most likely will need more.

Adding a chlorine pump would be most effective for such a large pool. Personally I dose at night based on the thinking that it will have more time to circulate before the sun is out.

Having a large supply of chlorine will lose its potency over time; especially if it's in the heat, outside.

A pump. Something like these: Peristaltic Pumps - Blue-White Industries

The drum is your reservoir. The filter is on 24/7, right? You just need to tap into the return line somewhere and feed the chlorin in.

We had a primitive version of this with a rotary knob to dial in the on time thirty years ago when I worked at a Boy Scout camp. It was pretty easy. If the FC started to climb, it got turned down a bit. If it dropped, we turned it up.

So this a commercial pool? If so the may be a regulatory board to check with in your state that could be helpful or a PITA. Personally I would normally chlorinate with liquid chlorine and if I needed CYA I would use Trichlor until CYA was correct. If there was a need to add CH, I'd use calhypo tablets for a while.

If you want to manually introduce chlorine at a slow rate you might make a venturi. Fill a 55 gallon barrel half full with water, then add the chlorine needed and top it off with more water. Have a small hose from the venturi to the barrel of diluted chlorine and let it suck it all in. You'd want the ability to bypass for normal flow efficiency or possibly just have the venturi between a couple Y's. A shutoff valve on the line to the diluted chlorine could control how fast it is introduced to the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
if I needed CYA I would use Trichlor until CYA was correct. If there was a need to add CH, I'd use calhypo tablets for a while.

This is NOT a good idea.

Calhypo and trichlor are not compatible and there have been reports of serious explosions when using them both in the same dispenser. I have no idea what/if there is an acceptable cleaning procedure or time to wait but just know (from TFP and some research that followed) this is dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.