Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump not priming

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump not priming

Hi, I have a 1 hp Hayward power flo lx pump. I think it's not priming but I'm not sure. I fill the basket with water and turn the pump on. It clears the water out from the basket but then no water pumps through. I have it hooked up to a proline filter. I just changed the sand in the filter. I don't think that would have anything to do with this problem. I checked for leaks but really didn't see any. And the lid on this filter is a real ***** to loosen. So I believe it has a tight seal. Any ideas?

20150603_110913.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump not priming

Since your pump is blow the water line, whenever you take the lid off pump basket water should pour out of it.

Maybe there's something stuck in the skimmer bottom or the line from the skimmer to the pump?

I assume that the water level is high enough in the pool!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I think your hoses are hooked up backwards.

The bottom is cropped. Does that black hose by the pump strainer lead to the top of the filter the way it looks?

The white hose off the skimmer should go to the inlet by the pump basket.

Or the black hose off the pump should go to the skimmer.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Good catch Richard.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Man you guys are good. I've got a lot of catchin' up on my skills to do.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

I will switch the hoses and see what happens. Had a friend do this for me. Will let you know.

7. Back To Top    #7

If switching the hoses works, that friend owes you a cold one.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Cold one due.
    Hose switch worked! Pool is now filtering correctly. Now on to getting it crystal clear. Thank you very much!

9. Back To Top    #9

Glad it was an easy fix.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator