Looking to get another in-ground pump to use as a power vac

Zoe

Jun 3, 2015
Bay Shore, New York
I have had my pool for 13 years. My filter is not the best to use to vac the pool; the bags need to be cleaned a few times while doing this. I have had a pool company do a weekly cleaning on it for the past 5 years or so. I want to stop using them and do it myself because it is very expensive. I have noticed that when they come to vac the pool they bring in a pump and connect a vac hose to it and another hose for the "return" water to my lawn. If I could get my hands on a pump like this I could do myself. The problem I am having is that all in-ground pumps come hotwired; meaning no 3 prong plug to plug into an extension cord. I am almost positive I could wire this myself but I want to be sure first before I buy the pump. I spoke with a tec to a pool supply that I use on-line and was told I would need a lic electrician to do this or it would void the warranty on the pump.
Has anyone done this?

Pretty easy to put a plug on a 110 pump. Just connect the pluged wires to the connections for a 110 that will come with your pool.

I know you didn't ask but I would try to solve why you have to empty the bag when you vacuum. Do you have a robot? What size is your filter? Is your pool algae-free? Improper water chemistry is the very probable cause for a dirty pool.

the reason i have to clean the bags is when it is fine stuff on the bottom it goes thru the bags. I am not sure of the filter size. the bags are about 2.5 feet long and they go into a canister type tube, the vac hose sits ontop of the cansiter while the other is covered close. I am not sure what I would need once i get this pump to convert to a plug but I have watched the pool co. do it a few times and they are in an out in about 1/2 hr. If I do by my filter it takes over 2 hours.

- - - Updated - - -

I am looking to have it as a vac not connected to the pool at all and some pumps come 110/220 ready. pool tec said there is a switch on pump to change it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.