Pool cleaner recommendation - Robot or Pressure Side?

Feb 23, 2015
Fairfax, CA
I have recently replaced most of my pool equipment but my old Robot pool cleaner has died. I have a 2hp variable speed jandy epump, an aqualink/aquapure system and JVA that I can use to direct all flow to a pressure side pool cleaner. I do NOT have a booster pump. My pool is an inground kindey shape and about 11k gallons or so. My question is, should I go with a pressure-side or robot style pool cleaner and which ones would you recommend.

I have a wide variety of debris (tree leaves, seedlings, and buds, some dirt and dust, etc.)

Thanks,

John

Hey John,

Welcome to TFP!

I'm very biased toward Robots and will suggest them everytime. Buy a good one and you'll never regret it. Less energy, better cleaning, no booster pump noise. They are expensive, but well worth the cost IMO.

Thanks Patrick, I had one last season that we inherited from the previous owner and it worked really well. Tried to fire it up this season and it didn't want to move. Any opinion or experience on this guy:

Amazon.com: Dolphin 99996323 Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Pool Cleaner with Swivel Cable, 60-Feet: Patio, Lawn Garden

I bought this one yesterday. Not much more cost wise and its the upgraded version. Dolphin Nautilus Plus
It's significantly cheaper than Amazon too. I may not get that great Amazon customer service, but it does boast a 2 year warranty.

Being in the process of switching from pressure-side (Polaris 380) to robotic (Aquabot Icon), one key difference I will point out is the dependency on a) your pressure-side cleaner booster pump and b) it's hoses. The hoses leak, and are very difficult to work with. There's a thread on here about how nightmarish it is to fix. I had to fix mine and it is a PITA. Also now my booster pump is failing and old and leaking internally somehow. It's another thing I would have to repair/replace should I re-invest in my Polaris (also fixed multiple times and now it doesn't work well at all). Lifespan was 8 years, could be longer, could be shorter. Hopefully my robot last 8 years too. At least I don't have to buy a new booster pump this way. Something to consider..

This is in addition to the Polaris cleaners not working nearly as well as the higher-end robot cleaners from Dolphin/Aquabot/Blue Diamond.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.