Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool cleaner recommendation - Robot or Pressure Side?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool cleaner recommendation - Robot or Pressure Side?

I have recently replaced most of my pool equipment but my old Robot pool cleaner has died. I have a 2hp variable speed jandy epump, an aqualink/aquapure system and JVA that I can use to direct all flow to a pressure side pool cleaner. I do NOT have a booster pump. My pool is an inground kindey shape and about 11k gallons or so. My question is, should I go with a pressure-side or robot style pool cleaner and which ones would you recommend.

I have a wide variety of debris (tree leaves, seedlings, and buds, some dirt and dust, etc.)

Thanks,

John

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool cleaner recommendation - Robot or Pressure Side?

Hey John,

Welcome to TFP!

I'm very biased toward Robots and will suggest them everytime. Buy a good one and you'll never regret it. Less energy, better cleaning, no booster pump noise. They are expensive, but well worth the cost IMO.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Patrick, I had one last season that we inherited from the previous owner and it worked really well. Tried to fire it up this season and it didn't want to move. Any opinion or experience on this guy:

Amazon.com: Dolphin 99996323 Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Pool Cleaner with Swivel Cable, 60-Feet: Patio, Lawn Garden

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by fraserjr View Post
    Thanks Patrick, I had one last season that we inherited from the previous owner and it worked really well. Tried to fire it up this season and it didn't want to move. Any opinion or experience on this guy:

Amazon.com: Dolphin 99996323 Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Pool Cleaner with Swivel Cable, 60-Feet: Patio, Lawn Garden
    I bought this one yesterday. Not much more cost wise and its the upgraded version. Dolphin Nautilus Plus
    It's significantly cheaper than Amazon too. I may not get that great Amazon customer service, but it does boast a 2 year warranty.
    16x32 27k gal oval gunite pool, 24-inch Hayward sand filter, 1HP pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by lelandapple View Post
    I bought this one yesterday. Not much more cost wise and its the upgraded version. Dolphin Nautilus Plus
    It's significantly cheaper than Amazon too. I may not get that great Amazon customer service, but it does boast a 2 year warranty.
    Will Maytronics offer a warranty on an online purchase, or from this retailer. Have you received the cleaner yet?

6. Back To Top    #6

I bought the Dolphin Primal from amazon about 1 month ago, and I am extremely pleased with it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00 A pressure side one was provided by the PB, but I hated it. It seemed like I was always adjusting it and it wasn't picking up much.
    Leisure Pools Riviera 34 Fiberglass IG 16100 gals
    CS150 Cartridge Filter 1hp FloPro pump, AquaPure E1 SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

Being in the process of switching from pressure-side (Polaris 380) to robotic (Aquabot Icon), one key difference I will point out is the dependency on a) your pressure-side cleaner booster pump and b) it's hoses. The hoses leak, and are very difficult to work with. There's a thread on here about how nightmarish it is to fix. I had to fix mine and it is a PITA. Also now my booster pump is failing and old and leaking internally somehow. It's another thing I would have to repair/replace should I re-invest in my Polaris (also fixed multiple times and now it doesn't work well at all). Lifespan was 8 years, could be longer, could be shorter. Hopefully my robot last 8 years too. At least I don't have to buy a new booster pump this way. Something to consider..

This is in addition to the Polaris cleaners not working nearly as well as the higher-end robot cleaners from Dolphin/Aquabot/Blue Diamond.

8. Back To Top    #8

Did you receive the Nautilus Plus yet? If so, how do you like it?