Any use for shock tabs?

440dodge440

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 7, 2015
South Central PA
I have a bucket of shock tabs (I don't think they're 3", I think a bit smaller) and a busket of 3" trichlor tabs. I think I'll keep the trichlor tabs around in case I need them for when I'm out of town for a few days, but can anyone forsee a situation that I would need the shock tabs? They're OK just sitting there, but if I'll never need them I'd rather give them away to someone who actually uses them.

OK, that's the same Trichlor as what's in the 3" tabs, although the concentration may be different. As long as those shock tabs do not have any copper, clarifiers, or other ingredients in them I would hang on to them as well. However, if they do contain other unwanted ingredients, then I would give them away or dispose of them properly in accordance with your municipality's code on chemical refuse. If you are not sure, post up any other ingredients that these may include and we'll help you determine if these are worth keeping and using in your pool.

The only ingredient listed is the one above. It just says 'inert ingredients' for the other 33%. Assuming these are useful, would they be used to bring the chlorine and CYA us if needed at the start of the season? I couldn't use them in the chlorinator due to them being fast dissoving (at least that's what the pool store said)

That's a big chunk of "inert ingredients" . By the strict definition of "inert", these ingredients should not be chemically reactive. But that still doesn't tell us what they are. Now, if the inert ingredients were on the order of 5-10%, I would be more comfortable. Ultimately, this is your call. If it were me, I would dispose of them accordingly as I like to know exactly what I'm putting in my pool.

If you know the manufacturer and product, you could do a web search for the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) which will give you more info on this product in order to make a more informed decision.

Thanks- I think I will get rid of them. They are from the local pool store, who sells their own labeled chemicals, so there's really no info out there for them. I agree with wanting to know what I'm adding. I've never suffered through what I'm reading from many of the new people on the forum, and I don't want to!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.