Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any use for shock tabs?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any use for shock tabs?

I have a bucket of shock tabs (I don't think they're 3", I think a bit smaller) and a busket of 3" trichlor tabs. I think I'll keep the trichlor tabs around in case I need them for when I'm out of town for a few days, but can anyone forsee a situation that I would need the shock tabs? They're OK just sitting there, but if I'll never need them I'd rather give them away to someone who actually uses them.
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Any use for shock tabs?

First, nice username!

Second, on the "shock tabs"...Do you know what the ingredients are?
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! I'll have to check on the ingredients when I get home. Still new to the pool and I didn't realize there were so many shock products available.
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

The active ingedient (66%) is Trichloro-S Triazinetrione
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

OK, that's the same Trichlor as what's in the 3" tabs, although the concentration may be different. As long as those shock tabs do not have any copper, clarifiers, or other ingredients in them I would hang on to them as well. However, if they do contain other unwanted ingredients, then I would give them away or dispose of them properly in accordance with your municipality's code on chemical refuse. If you are not sure, post up any other ingredients that these may include and we'll help you determine if these are worth keeping and using in your pool.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT

6. Back To Top    #6

The only ingredient listed is the one above. It just says 'inert ingredients' for the other 33%. Assuming these are useful, would they be used to bring the chlorine and CYA us if needed at the start of the season? I couldn't use them in the chlorinator due to them being fast dissoving (at least that's what the pool store said)
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

That's a big chunk of "inert ingredients" . By the strict definition of "inert", these ingredients should not be chemically reactive. But that still doesn't tell us what they are. Now, if the inert ingredients were on the order of 5-10%, I would be more comfortable. Ultimately, this is your call. If it were me, I would dispose of them accordingly as I like to know exactly what I'm putting in my pool.

If you know the manufacturer and product, you could do a web search for the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) which will give you more info on this product in order to make a more informed decision.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks- I think I will get rid of them. They are from the local pool store, who sells their own labeled chemicals, so there's really no info out there for them. I agree with wanting to know what I'm adding. I've never suffered through what I'm reading from many of the new people on the forum, and I don't want to!!
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump