Feb 4, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Hi Gang,
My pool does not have the flapper that stops the leaves from coming back out of the waterline intake after the pump turns off. I believe the correct word for this flapper is 'weir'. question is - how hard is it to after-market install one? I see that there are two tabs ( bottom left and right ) of the intake area but could really use some assistance in what needs doing to get it sized and operating correctly.
As Always - thanks for your help.
Cardano.

Cardano, I believe it can be done as a DIY. Some skimmer intakes may be slightly different though. Any chance you could post a pic or two to help the TFP audience assist accurately?

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a recent thread that may help you.
Broken skimmer weir tab

So I measured the opening and it's 5 1/4" tall by 8 1/8" wide at the face where the tabs are for the weir. Given the normal water level, I'd prefer something slightly thinner since the thicker the weir, the higher the water level I will need to maintain, the more water my boys will splash out of the pool, the more water I will need to refill - here in the desert of the valley of the sun.
PoolPartsOnline has a 5 1/4 x 8 x 3/4 American Admiral 4060-11 that looks promising
I thought about taking pictures, but the boys were splashing about so the phone said " is that really a good idea " when I took it near the pool to take those pictures.
perhaps if the sun is still up after the boys go to bed I can get some snaps of it.
Thanks,
Cardano.

Given the normal water level, I'd prefer something slightly thinner since the thicker the weir, the higher the water level I will need to maintain,
I do not follow this logic. The weir should be the full height of the skimmer opening and it flaps down to any water level (ideally in the middle of the skimmer).

While 'open' and lying horizontal, the the weir is raising the water level required to pass into the filter by it's thickness.
if you had a 3" thick weir, for example, you would need water raised above the three inch thickness of the height of the opening ( 5" in this case ) so you could never have more than 2" of water flow into the filter from this intake.
an extreme example, but still points to my concern.
I generally keep the water level towards the lower end of the spectrum to reduce splash out in the desert, and the weir will increase the minimum pool water level required to operate properly by whatever thickness the weir has.
While growing up, we had an arrangement where the weir had a special place so that it could lie flat while open - that is not teh case with this pool - the floor of the intake is horizontal and would reduce the height of the opening by the thickness of the weir.

Making the side-door-opening linked above sound good - even at $50.
cardano

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.