Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: weir?

1. Back To Top    #1

weir?

Hi Gang,
    My pool does not have the flapper that stops the leaves from coming back out of the waterline intake after the pump turns off. I believe the correct word for this flapper is 'weir'. question is - how hard is it to after-market install one? I see that there are two tabs ( bottom left and right ) of the intake area but could really use some assistance in what needs doing to get it sized and operating correctly.
    As Always - thanks for your help.
    Cardano.
    20k IG PebbleTec w/ STA-RITE PE5E-182L 1HP and Zodiac Polaris PB4 for Polaris 380 vacuum / Hayward ProGrid DE4820 Filter / TF-100 but I havent broken down and gotten a speed stir yet

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: weir?

Cardano, I believe it can be done as a DIY. Some skimmer intakes may be slightly different though. Any chance you could post a pic or two to help the TFP audience assist accurately?

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a recent thread that may help you.
    Broken skimmer weir tab
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Google for an aftermarket universal adjustable replacement one based on size of skimmer opening if your dealer doesn't have one.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

+1 to what the previous responders have stated. There's several options for a retrofit weir.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

The pool tool weir conversion is by far my favorite the generic aftermarket flaps have a tendency to hang up.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

6. Back To Top    #6

I recently bought one of these to replace a broken weir AQUAPower Skimmer Door - OFFICIAL SITE so far I am impressed with it, but it was not cheap at around $50 off amazon
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

So I measured the opening and it's 5 1/4" tall by 8 1/8" wide at the face where the tabs are for the weir. Given the normal water level, I'd prefer something slightly thinner since the thicker the weir, the higher the water level I will need to maintain, the more water my boys will splash out of the pool, the more water I will need to refill - here in the desert of the valley of the sun.
    PoolPartsOnline has a 5 1/4 x 8 x 3/4 American Admiral 4060-11 that looks promising
    I thought about taking pictures, but the boys were splashing about so the phone said " is that really a good idea " when I took it near the pool to take those pictures.
    perhaps if the sun is still up after the boys go to bed I can get some snaps of it.
    Thanks,
    Cardano.
    20k IG PebbleTec w/ STA-RITE PE5E-182L 1HP and Zodiac Polaris PB4 for Polaris 380 vacuum / Hayward ProGrid DE4820 Filter / TF-100 but I havent broken down and gotten a speed stir yet

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by cardano View Post
    Given the normal water level, I'd prefer something slightly thinner since the thicker the weir, the higher the water level I will need to maintain,
    I do not follow this logic. The weir should be the full height of the skimmer opening and it flaps down to any water level (ideally in the middle of the skimmer).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

While 'open' and lying horizontal, the the weir is raising the water level required to pass into the filter by it's thickness.
    if you had a 3" thick weir, for example, you would need water raised above the three inch thickness of the height of the opening ( 5" in this case ) so you could never have more than 2" of water flow into the filter from this intake.
    an extreme example, but still points to my concern.
    I generally keep the water level towards the lower end of the spectrum to reduce splash out in the desert, and the weir will increase the minimum pool water level required to operate properly by whatever thickness the weir has.
    While growing up, we had an arrangement where the weir had a special place so that it could lie flat while open - that is not teh case with this pool - the floor of the intake is horizontal and would reduce the height of the opening by the thickness of the weir.

Making the side-door-opening linked above sound good - even at $50.
    cardano

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok ....

Maybe you should look at the baskets that have a floating weir in them ... might meet you low water needs?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

ahh - basket weir - that's starting to sound good.
    I am also interested in the vertical hinge weir mentioned above.
    Cardano