Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELP, ph wont budge!!

1. Back To Top    #1

HELP, ph wont budge!!

hi all

we filled our pool from both our wells,both test 7.5 ish. PH is off the chart, alkaline wise.

over the last 3 weeks ive added 8kg sodium bisulphate, then 1 kg trichlor and over the last 3 days, 5 litres of muriatic acid.the ph is still off the chart!!!!FC is 0.5, TA is 180 ish(also not come down much from being off the chart) , CYA 50 ish

please help, this is my first pool which i built myself and im in a foreign non english country

thanx to u all in advance

xx
    were just finishing our 50 000ltr in ground pool with a tiled flat pebble finish and the bottom is painted..we also just installed our ionizer.we have a sand filter and waterfall and 1/2 hp pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: HELP, ph wont budge!!

Welcome Dave! TFP will be glad to help you, but first ... we need to know what test kit are you using to test your water? That's critical for us to know. Also, if you could please reply with all of the following tests it should help us tremendously: (FC, CC, TA, PH, CYA). There will be some advice from experts regarding your well water, so stand-by for that as well. When you get a moment, please check-out the links in my sig below as they will give you TONS of great info as you get started with us. Glad to have you aboard!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to the forum Dave,

With that addition and pool size, you should see some pH movement. Post back with how you're testing, and hopefully we can help you figure this out. The well pH you list aren't bad at all, and TA 180 can be dealt with easily. Let us know...
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for your welcomes and your replies
    i've tried 2 different tests,one- (un- named), red phenol test and the other, a South African product called HTH tester strips.It seems after the last dose of muriatic acid, the TA is now 120 ish, but the ph is still the same-off the chart 8.4 plus.... the rest tested the same,CYA 50, FC 0.5 , my test doesnt do CC, but it should be low as not added much chlorine... trying to get the PH correct 1st.( if thats correct ?)

Texas Splash, your recommended levels link for SWG or Bleach,where do ionizers fall in ? from what ive read my PH should be 7.2 for that?

I used the pool math calculator, and the ph should have dropped with all the chems ive thrown in

I know the FC should be higher, but PH 1st ??

Pool school doesnt mention ionizers?

As my pool is paint , concrete and pebbles, does the calcium hardness come into play?and also i cant test for this either....

Thanks in advance

have a good day

Dave
    were just finishing our 50 000ltr in ground pool with a tiled flat pebble finish and the bottom is painted..we also just installed our ionizer.we have a sand filter and waterfall and 1/2 hp pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Off the charts means you cannot calculate how much acid it will take to balance the ph. Just keep adding enough acid in front of the retur jet to drop from 8.2 to 7.5 every hour until you get a reading that is not off charts.
    17,100 Gal 27' x 52" AGP steel wall vinyl; 44gpm Cooper sand filter; Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed; 1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, inline chlorinator.
    Chlorine / CYA Chart | SLAM Process | Chlorine cost/fl. oz calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Daniel

The acid will lower my TA to below desired level and then when PH is correct to raise the TA?? just checking.... Summer is here and i wont be able to refill till autumn so im extra stressed
    Thanks for your help

xx

7. Back To Top    #7

Look at the effects of adding the amount of acid in pool math. When you know the next addition will drop TA below 70, go ahead and raise TA enough to offset the additional acid 30 minutes before pouring in the acid.
    17,100 Gal 27' x 52" AGP steel wall vinyl; 44gpm Cooper sand filter; Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed; 1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, inline chlorinator.
    Chlorine / CYA Chart | SLAM Process | Chlorine cost/fl. oz calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by dave bulgaria View Post
    Texas Splash, your recommended levels link for SWG or Bleach,where do ionizers fall in ? from what ive read my PH should be 7.2 for that?

I used the pool math calculator, and the ph should have dropped with all the chems ive thrown in

I know the FC should be higher, but PH 1st ??

Pool school doesnt mention ionizers?

As my pool is paint , concrete and pebbles, does the calcium hardness come into play?and also i cant test for this either....

Thanks in advance

have a good day

Dave
    Your pool counts as plaster/concrete, it is not vinyl and it is not fiberglass. Ionizers are not mentioned because TFP does not recommend the use of ionizers. Here are the Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals for TFPC.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by dave bulgaria View Post
    Thanks Daniel

The acid will lower my TA to below desired level and then when PH is correct to raise the TA?? just checking.... Summer is here and i wont be able to refill till autumn so im extra stressed
    Thanks for your help

xx

You need to get your PH stabilized after it is holding at 7.5 for a few days. Then you can use Poolmath to adjust TA if needed. Usually TA will stabilize. If if is around 60 or 70 then you're good to go.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you all for your help- I'll keep you posted
    xx