Adding water

My pool cleaning company told me that I should not be adding water to pool because that turns it green. They sent me a letter stating they will charge an additional $85 for balancing if I do. It says that if I have to add water I must have a leak. Is this true? It's summer and between 3 kids jumping into causing splash out and common evaporation, we add about once a week.

Welcome to the forum. :wave: I deleted your other post about adding water causing algae.....it does not. Please keep all your questions under one thread.

Surely, you have misunderstood your pool company. If you do not add water, your pool may be empty before the summer is over. You need to sit down with them and get a clear understanding of what they are telling you.

Meanwhile, read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.

Welcome to TFP!

In answer to your other thread.....

Algae spores are everywhere. Given the ideal environment, they grow at an alarming rate. We keep our pools algae free with common household supplies: sodium hypochlorite, otherwise known as bleach as our chlorinator; muriatic acid to adjust the pH; and a few others for minor adjustments of levels.

What we teach here is a method of cost effective pool care that just happens to be quick a easy to learn.

We base everything on being able to accurately measure what the chemical levels in are in the pool, using either the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kits.

To more adequately answer your question, adding water to a pool does not "create" algae. Lack of chlorine allows what is already there to grow.

Welcome to the forum. :wave: I deleted your other post about adding water causing algae.....it does not. Please keep all your questions under one thread.

Surely, you have misunderstood your pool company. If you do not add water, your pool may be empty before the summer is over. You need to sit down with them and get a clear understanding of what they are telling you.

Meanwhile, read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.
This is the letter they sent.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1433331897098.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1433331897098.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 71
Any time you add water it affect the chemicals, of course. However, it sounds to me like your pool service is lazy and cheap.

I personally would not leave my pool care in someone else's hands unless I had a pool located at a vacation home (wishful thinking). I am too particular about my water, and only having my chemicals checked weekly would not be sufficient.

Pool care is not too difficult, and the help here is amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blueyes, this is exactly why one of the first thing we recommend to all new TFP members is for them to obtain one of the recommended test kits as noted by Charlie above (see links in my sig below). It is the foundation of everything you do to maintain your pool, and trust me ... you CAN do it. Stay far away from these pool maintenance companies and pool stores for testing or "magical" products. They're running a business off of your income, nothing more.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature since that will help us later if you have a question. And finally, if you have your own kit (or once you get one) post some numbers and we'll help you.

Let us know if we can help any further.

Blueyes,
If you dont have the time or the care to take care of your own pool and wish to pay someone to assist, that is fine but I would tell the pool company that sent you that letter to no longer come back to your house. As you stated, kids swim in the pool and splash water all the time. Additionally, if it is hot out, water will evaporate. For them to tell you not to add water if needed is ridiculous. The grammar and spelling is also pretty bad and unprofessional. Good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have seen a lot of pool store scare tactics but this one takes the cake. Did a child write that letter. I would like to know how they test to see if the water is millions of years old or just thousands. As said.... save your money and tell them to never come back.

Wow....that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read! I add water to my pool every few days (slow leak somewhere) and it has yet to turn green. I test my water and adjust accordingly daily.....just wow....I'd run as fast as I can from that service!!

Fire them now. Then go post a bad review on Yelp with that image. There's this thing called evaporation. There's another called splashout. There's another called losing prime and overheating your pump due to low water pressure.

85 bucks will buy you a TF100 test kit with the XL option and leave you enough change to go buy a Slurpee or two. Fire the service and take over. If you don't have a vacuum and a brush and all that, go buy them yourself. The expense will be less than one month's service, probably. And you'll have super clear water at less cost.

Thanks for the feedback, I have tried to speak with owner to find out what kind of craziness they are talking, but we are taking over the pool care as I had to clean it, and treat with algaecide, shock, and chlorinated myself two days after they "cleaned" and now my pool is sparkling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.