Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding water

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding water

My pool cleaning company told me that I should not be adding water to pool because that turns it green. They sent me a letter stating they will charge an additional $85 for balancing if I do. It says that if I have to add water I must have a leak. Is this true? It's summer and between 3 kids jumping into causing splash out and common evaporation, we add about once a week.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Adding water

Welcome to the forum. I deleted your other post about adding water causing algae.....it does not. Please keep all your questions under one thread.

Surely, you have misunderstood your pool company. If you do not add water, your pool may be empty before the summer is over. You need to sit down with them and get a clear understanding of what they are telling you.

Meanwhile, read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

In answer to your other thread.....

Algae spores are everywhere. Given the ideal environment, they grow at an alarming rate. We keep our pools algae free with common household supplies: sodium hypochlorite, otherwise known as bleach as our chlorinator; muriatic acid to adjust the pH; and a few others for minor adjustments of levels.

What we teach here is a method of cost effective pool care that just happens to be quick a easy to learn.

We base everything on being able to accurately measure what the chemical levels in are in the pool, using either the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kits.

To more adequately answer your question, adding water to a pool does not "create" algae. Lack of chlorine allows what is already there to grow.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

I apologize I wasn't sure if this one posted

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Welcome to the forum. I deleted your other post about adding water causing algae.....it does not. Please keep all your questions under one thread.

Surely, you have misunderstood your pool company. If you do not add water, your pool may be empty before the summer is over. You need to sit down with them and get a clear understanding of what they are telling you.

Meanwhile, read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.
    This is the letter they sent.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Back To Top    #6

Run as fast as you can from that ignorance.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Any time you add water it affect the chemicals, of course. However, it sounds to me like your pool service is lazy and cheap.

I personally would not leave my pool care in someone else's hands unless I had a pool located at a vacation home (wishful thinking). I am too particular about my water, and only having my chemicals checked weekly would not be sufficient.

Pool care is not too difficult, and the help here is amazing!

28,000 IG, gunite, IntelliChlor IC40 SWG with SPA,
    Intellichlor/VS Pentair
    Norman, OK

8. Back To Top    #8

Blueyes, this is exactly why one of the first thing we recommend to all new TFP members is for them to obtain one of the recommended test kits as noted by Charlie above (see links in my sig below). It is the foundation of everything you do to maintain your pool, and trust me ... you CAN do it. Stay far away from these pool maintenance companies and pool stores for testing or "magical" products. They're running a business off of your income, nothing more.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature since that will help us later if you have a question. And finally, if you have your own kit (or once you get one) post some numbers and we'll help you.

Let us know if we can help any further.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks soo much, I appreciate the help

10. Back To Top    #10

Blueyes,
    If you dont have the time or the care to take care of your own pool and wish to pay someone to assist, that is fine but I would tell the pool company that sent you that letter to no longer come back to your house. As you stated, kids swim in the pool and splash water all the time. Additionally, if it is hot out, water will evaporate. For them to tell you not to add water if needed is ridiculous. The grammar and spelling is also pretty bad and unprofessional. Good luck.
    Salt Water 8000 AGP 12' X 18' X 54" - Hayward S166T 16" Sand Filter w/ 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump - Hayward Aqua Trol RJ Salt Generator System

11. Back To Top    #11

I'd fire that company with impunity and tell everyone I knew how awful their "service" was.

# Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and spelling errors!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

12. Back To Top    #12

I have seen a lot of pool store scare tactics but this one takes the cake. Did a child write that letter. I would like to know how they test to see if the water is millions of years old or just thousands. As said.... save your money and tell them to never come back.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

13. Back To Top    #13

Wow....that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read! I add water to my pool every few days (slow leak somewhere) and it has yet to turn green. I test my water and adjust accordingly daily.....just wow....I'd run as fast as I can from that service!!
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

14. Back To Top    #14

Fire them now. Then go post a bad review on Yelp with that image. There's this thing called evaporation. There's another called splashout. There's another called losing prime and overheating your pump due to low water pressure.

85 bucks will buy you a TF100 test kit with the XL option and leave you enough change to go buy a Slurpee or two. Fire the service and take over. If you don't have a vacuum and a brush and all that, go buy them yourself. The expense will be less than one month's service, probably. And you'll have super clear water at less cost.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks for the feedback, I have tried to speak with owner to find out what kind of craziness they are talking, but we are taking over the pool care as I had to clean it, and treat with algaecide, shock, and chlorinated myself two days after they "cleaned" and now my pool is sparkling.