Battling Cloudy Pool

dboddy

Jun 2, 2015
Ogden
Hello,

I am having a constant struggle with getting my pool to clear in a timely manner. Every time I brush (about once a week) or if kids play in pool, it clouds instantly and remains for about 2 weeks. If I let my pool sit without touching or very light lap swimming, it will become sparking, crystal clear in about 10-14 days. This is my second year as a pool owner and have struggled with this the entire time. Even after stumbling across this site 2 years ago and learning proper chemistry, I am still having this issue (however, many other problems I was struggling with were resolved, so thank you TFP). The first year I used bleach and this year I converted to SWG. Here's some background info:

- Concrete/plaster 30+ years old, kidney shaped
- All original plumbing abandoned in place (the return ports appear to be stuffed with some sort of canvas material)
- Main drain does not operate
- I installed 2 return lines (above ground) on each end of the pool and then Y'd the lines when they entered the pool over the coping, using 4 Infustion "V-fittings" to help circulate lower levels of water since the main drain does not operate.
- Other details can be found in signature line
- I try to brush and vacuum (manual and Hayward Navigator) about once a week; however, I will sometimes let this go longer to allow the pool to clear
- I "deep clean" the sand filter at spring startup
- I SLAM'd at spring startup and have appeared to have no algae blooms so far
- I live in Northern Utah and I have a lot of foliage around the pool, fighting pollen and other small debris
- I keep a floating, solar blanket on the pool whenever not in use or cleaning

Recent Test Results:

- FC: 5.5
- CC: 0 (this has never increased so far this season)
- CYA: 60 (slowly working on increasing due to SWG conversion)
- CH: 220 (working on increasing to 300)
- TA: 110
- PH: 7.5
- Borate: 40 (Borates newly added for first time about a month ago)
- Salt: 3300

Could I have problem with the plaster just being so old and constantly deteriorating? There also seems to be two layers of paint that is slowly peeling as well. Let me know what other information I can provide and appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks,
Derek

With CYA of 60 you need to increase your chlorine level per the Chlorine CYA Chart. Probably want to keep it at 10-12 for while to knock out the extra organic material that is causing the cloudiness. It is important not to let the chlorine level drop below the minimum level.

Welcome to the forum Derek,

If you have these, and lower levels of FC on some regular basis, it could be the problem. Other than FC, you look really good overall. Nothing there indicates a clouding issue like you might see with high CH/TA etc. Being that old and in that condition it's quite possible you have plaster breaking down. If this continues after a period of better FC levels as pooldv suggests, it's something you may have to address with a new finish.

Thank you for the suggestion pooldv. I had my FC at those levels for a while during my startup and warming period. However, the whole month of May has been rain/wind storms, so I will bring them up again to battle any organic material that jumped in. Just to clarify, according to the Chlorine CYA Chart, I'm already above the Target FC of 4 for 60 CYA (for SWG)... I do plan on picking up some more stabilizer this weekend and getting the CYA to between 70-80. Thanks!

Ok, wasn't sure if you had made the switch to SWG yet or were in process. If your SWG is up and running then yes, it might be time to refinish. Or swim this summer and work in it in the fall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.