Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: So close... and yet so far away!

1. Back To Top    #1
    Ankeny, IA

Angry So close... and yet so far away!

I'm at the tail end of my first SLAM (I think). A week ago my pool was so cloudy that I couldn't see the bottom of the shallow end. I started the SLAM process on Wednesday (5/29). The water cleared st of the water, but I seem to have stalled out. I was dropping 10+ppm overnight. now I seem to be dropping 3-5ppm. I'm just curious if I'm missing something. I originally tested my CYA at 50 and have been using 20ppm as my goal. I had to buy a new bottle of r-0871 reagent because I ran out. I mostly need confirmation that I'm still on the right path:

Current test (before I added chlorine):

CC=.5 (probably less, but I was doing the .5 test)

Any thoughts are appreciated!
    20x36' in-ground vinyl pool. 25.5K Gallons. Sta-Rite Sand Filter. Pentair Ultratemp Heat Pump. Pentair IntelliFlo variable speed pump. Tri-Chlor Feeder. Automatic Cover. Taylor K-2600 test kit. Pool owner since 2013.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Sierra Vista, Az

Re: So close... and yet so far away!

You are doing great,
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3
    Northern IL

Assuming you are following slam recommendations (adding chlorine as often as possible to keep at shock level; brushing everywhere after making that FC high; vacuuming; SWG/chlorinator off; backwashing as needed; pump on 24/7; checking ladders, lights, and weirs for hidden spots; etc.) you are just fine.

Hang in there!
    Last edited by MarianParoo; 06-03-2015 at 12:59 AM. Reason: sp
    27K IG rectangular; vinyl liner; sand filter; 1hp pump; auto-cover; heater; K-2006.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

You are doing fine but get that FC back up to 20 and keep it there. If you tested CYA at 50 ppm, you can probably assume it's still 50 so keep your FC at 20.

Brush, run your filter 24/7, vacuum as often as you can, etc. You are close.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School