Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need new transformer for heater. Is this ok?

1. Back To Top    #1

Need new transformer for heater. Is this ok?

My 12yr old RayPak RP2100 heater went out. I have traced the problem to a bad voltage transformer. The cheapest I could find one is about $50.00 and that is a kit with a bunch of wires and connectors that I don't believe I really need. I found a transformer just by itself from another manufacturer for about $15.00. The spec's are just a slight bit different but I don't believe it will cause a problem.

Can someone with electrical experience confirm this?

The RayPak specs are,
    115vac/230vac to 24vac, 43va.

The one I am looking to replace it with is,
    115vac/208vac/240vac to 24vac, 40va.

I understand that I would just not be using the 208vac wiring on the input.

skeeter
    47 yr old(1977) 18,000gal Kidney shaped 38ft long plaster Pool with built-in Spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS3050 Pump, Pentair 48sf DE filter, Raypack RP2100 gas heater. HTH 5-way test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Need new transformer for heater. Is this ok?

Unless they are using right at max capacity, which they shouldn't be, that one should work. Lots of transformers come with multiple taps, and you just use the ones needed in your particular application.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Need new transformer for heater. Is this ok?

That's what I thought. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

skeeter
    47 yr old(1977) 18,000gal Kidney shaped 38ft long plaster Pool with built-in Spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS3050 Pump, Pentair 48sf DE filter, Raypack RP2100 gas heater. HTH 5-way test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Heater not turning on. Still!

oops

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Re: Need new transformer for heater. Is this ok?

Well it's possible that the transformer took out the board. If you are not getting anything on the display and no reaction to the keys being pushed, control board.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,