Houston Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Universal40
Now that I have my pool up and running, I am looking into heating this bad boy.

There are really three design types to running your solar piping; coils, serpentine, or the manifold style.

What works the best for the least amount of back pressure increase to keep the strain down on my pump, but is also pretty effective?

Right now my pump pushed about 10psi at the filter..

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back pressure isn't hard on your pump provided you keep some flow. For effectiveness, the commercial panels are in another league compared to home brew systems. The goal with any kind of solar heat is to maximize the amount of water going through the system and the contact area between the water and the panel. This results in minimal temperature rise which reduces heat loss. You accomplish high flow and large contact area with a lot of parallel pipes.

This is one of those cases where you can almost always buy a commercial panel that will outperform anything you can make for less money than you would spend on the DIY supplies. About the only exception would be if you have several thousand feet of black poly tubing on hand for free, even then there is a question of how much is your time worth.

My techno-solis panels came from poolheatpumps.com these are the same panels as Solar Direct sells as their house brand Vortex panels. I bought mine a couple of years ago with 2 inch headers for less solar direct gets for their 1.5 inch header version

Have a guy selling some panels locally. They are 20 years old and have some leaks, but he wants 20 bucks a piece for them. What's everyone's thoughts

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.