DIY Solar Pool Heater

Ah, let me guess you have been reading the solar energy industry suggestions for optimal solar angle for fixed photovoltaic solar panels? Where 60 degrees is their suggested optimal angle for being at 40 degrees north?

Unfortunately when it comes to practical heat from solar panels for pools, unless you have a massively oversized solar panel array, you will only get practical amounts of heat from your panels from roughly March - Sept at best, therefore if you look at this page Optimum Tilt of Solar Panels in the section marked adjusting tilt twice per year you will see that the summer optimal tilt for 40 degrees north is a mere 16 degrees from verticall. (winter optimal would be 54 degrees so BIG difference), and the spring / fall optimal angle is about 37 degrees.

Now for the point of debate, it is better to tilt your solar panels at the summer 16 degree angle to get peak solar heat in mid summer, or is it better to use the 37 degree tilt for optimal spring/fall performance, or somewhere in between. Personally I would say if your pool gets anywhere close to your desired swim temperature without solar panels in the peak of the summer, go for the 37 degree spring / fall optimal angle since you don't need peak efficiency heating in mid summer.

Ike

p.s. angles are from horizontal panel position

Last edited:
Hey guys. Its that time of year again. Im getting started on my solar panel install.

Purchased the Goldline/Hayward solar controller.

I plan on putting up the panels in a similar fashion to the pictures below. Due to my yard layout though, I am going to have two sets of panels. I'm going to run a 2" out to the panels then split out to 1 1/2" to each bank of panels. Not sure on the vacuum breaker for this type of setup though.

IMG_0366.JPG

IMG_0367.JPG

I would use 2" all the way to the panels, even after the split.

Ideally you want all the water to have to travel the same distance (that is have the same head loss), which could be a little tricky with split panel setup.

Since the panels are not very high, I would think having the VRV at the top would not be an issue.

Just finished wiring up the controller for timer override. Im waiting on a check valve to come in through Amazon to start on the plumbing. I figured I can atleast get my pool running while working on the solar panel racks.

Quick question. The valve that came with the kit doesn't have any holes to allow water to drain from the panels.. It does have instructions though for drilling a hole, but mentions it is only for winterization.

- - - Updated - - -

Campbell Mfg Llc 2 Quietsewage Chk Valve B-0823-20C Well Supply Accessories - Power Water Pumps - Amazon.com

- - - Updated - - -

What type of check valve are you using?

Campbell Mfg Llc 2 Quietsewage Chk Valve B-0823-20C Well Supply Accessories - Power Water Pumps - Amazon.com

If you add a solar controller with a valve actuator then you will need some way for the cold side to drain, I really don't like the idea of drilling holes in the valve, I prefer the idea of a low flow bypass bridge.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the links. Im renting the post hole digger possibly tomorrow. Since im in ohio, we need to go 3ft deep due to the frost line. Don't want anything moving a few years down the road.

Plumbed enough tonight to get the pool open for the year. Next week we still have nights in the 40's so it may be a little early.

- - - Updated - - -

ALSO please ignore the inline chlorinator. It is no longer in use. You can see the legit chlorinator up on the shelf.

Here is mine, equipment, solar valve, etc is on the other side of the wall. Not the cleanest setup, but it was built with fittings I had on hand, and doubles as the drain for the panels. Red handled valve allows just a trickle of flow to bypass. This also lets the cold side line drain back down when solar is off and pump is on low.
attachment.php

I typically get a 9 month swim season with solar heat and covering the pool with a solar cover in the spring and fall, the cover is coming off for the summer after his weekend. The last swim of the year is usually early to mid November, considering how busy the holiday season always seems to be, this is not such a bad thing for us. This year with the warm winter the pool was back up to swim temperatures by mid Feb.

A little Pythagorean theorem to make sure my frame is square. Going to build the first rack complete, then see where the sun is at on the shaded side to ensure I get 100% of the suns rays on both racks.

13240609_1259433570781958_2431983481858575131_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

finished setting the first set of posts for the first rack.......going to use a laser level to get a good reading then chop the top of all of em to make them even.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.