How to empty an above-ground pool that has gone off the rails?

I have an above-ground pool that was a hand-me-down from a generous friend. We had no trouble with it last year. But last Labor Day we left for the weekend and it drove off a cliff. We've done everything humanly possible but we have given up on it. We'd like to replace the water.

I've already pumped it empty once and it was impossible to get the last inch of water, with all the leaf slime, algae, etc., out of the pool. In other words, all the water was pumped out but all the algae and slime stayed at the bottom.

When I filled it up again it was a disaster before it was entirely full. I've decided to pay someone else to manage the chemicals and have already been doing that for two months. But because it's so filthy it won't come clean.

I am happy to rent the pump again and spend the day emptying the thing once more. But how do I get the last inch of water, algae, and slime out before refilling it?

Thank you for any advice.

This is a 48' x 52" above-ground round pool with a sand filter. I figure about 15000 gallons.

You can't get the water clear because it's not being SLAM'ed. That means Shock Level AND Maintain. You can find info on this in Pool School. Have you purchased a test kit yet? I see you've been a member since Sept last year.

You should never drain a pool just to clean it. You'll shrink the liner and then have to replace it.

Wet n Dry shop vac.

Then mop up the last residue with a carwash sponge or some old towels.

If you're starting with a fresh fill, there's no reason the pool can't be sparkling from the day you start filling until - well, forever. I've gone over 5 years without ever seeing green in my pool, 365 days a year. The secret is testing and dosing the pool yourself. Add only what it needs. A TF100 test kit will cost you less than the pool service guy wasted.

You still don't want to continually drain that pool especially since you've had an unqualified pool service dumping chemicals that haven't worked. You shrink that liner and you'll know it after it's too late.

I think some really wasted pools are crystal clear without draining.

Get a test kit, post the results and do exactly what this forum says. .. tell people your a pool expert when its back in action.

You're absolutely correct Trick!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.