Is this how this is supposed to look?

May 11, 2015
Surprise, AZ
It's driving me crazy and maybe it's just some Ocd setting in but isnt this supposed to be straight?

Also we had some issues with the electrician they put the sub panel right next to our fence making it considered easily climable and would fail our inspection so today they came out and moved it and this was their fix it looks horrible!

If by straight, you are talking about the expansion joints in your concrete, They look fine to me.

Your electrical needs to be done right, and that definitely ISN'T. Call the electrician back and make him install a proper support for it!

On the expansion joint, from that picture it doesn't look the best. Though it does need to be looked at in the entirety of the deck. Truly it should aligned with the shadows cast by the railings at solar midday on the summer solstice if your really want to set off your OCD issues. Others won't notice but you will though that that will likely fade too.

I agree that install doesn't look super great. It looks to be rigid pipe stabbed in the ground.

Moving electrical is always an issue. You plan ahead and install it once. Its usually never as good the 2nd time. I'm curious of the 1st install, how it looked and why it being next to a fence wouldn't pass inspection. No one will be climbing on your electrical. ... i guess from the shadow in the first pic its some kind of metal fence and a burglar could use it as a step to get over? Electricians have many codes to follow unless they are told your concerns beforehand they are concentrating on all real requirements and not trivial 'what ifs'.

Generally people leave it up to the electrician to make the call on location and the mounting. If so, there's a risk to that as you can see. I built my own multipurpose wall to mount electrical and such on. Kind of like not documenting all specs in contract. Actually I said in the the contract that I would be building the. wall. I'm not trying to show you up, just putting it out there for others at this point.
Stinks they have that lack of craftsmanship (or perhaps their stick-it-to-you attitude).

Expansion joint, I see what you are talking about, I too would have preferred a strait line, but to anyone else no big, that's why I specify everything. The electric panel, no way, that's not acceptable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does your neighbor have a pool? The code for climbing only applies to people climbing in, not out. We originally had issues, because our city code did not allow the panel to be within a certain distance from shared common fence (ie. property line). Our panel would have been floating in the air directly in front of the plumbing, just like yours is. We ended up getting a waiver from our planning department, because common sense says that it would be a lot more secure and safe mounted to a cinder block wall. First time I ever heard of city planning using common sense.

29b1pcj.jpg

Also, concrete looks fine and will probably not be noticed once the water goes in.

I think there is a bit in the NEC code that does not allow electrical boxes to be mounted by metal conduit. Try quoting them NEC article 370-23 or 110-12 "Mechanical Execution of Work. Electrical equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner"

Electricians love to say something does or does not meet code, but hate it when people quote NEC code to them.

i had to read your post and look at pics 3 times to try to see what was wrong, so that's a good sign. now that i figured out u r talking about the wall, i guess it may seem like it goes down on the right a bit. hard to say what it looks like in real life. i'd be disappointed but i'm big on plants so that'd be an easy fix for me as i'd plan on planting some greenery in front of it anyway. if u do that i don't think the eye will ever go to the wall. i just took down some olianders (having a heck of a time killing them, too, as they are under the block wall). i never knew the wall had so many imperfections until i took them down!

- - - Updated - - -

and to validate u, i've been frustrated, too, with the pb not caring about what i want and trying to get by with whatever. with the amount that i manage the job and catch mistakes, sometimes i wish i would've managed the whole job! although, i like the warranty and backing from the pb

What bothers me is the electrical conduit is run against the plumbing pipe. If you ever worked on the plumbing it would be in the way. Why didn't they put it next to the house?

i had to read your post and look at pics 3 times to try to see what was wrong, so that's a good sign. now that i figured out u r talking about the wall, i guess it may seem like it goes down on the right a bit. hard to say what it looks like in real life. i'd be disappointed but i'm big on plants so that'd be an easy fix for me as i'd plan on planting some greenery in front of it anyway. if u do that i don't think the eye will ever go to the wall. i just took down some olianders (having a heck of a time killing them, too, as they are under the block wall). i never knew the wall had so many imperfections until i took them down!

- - - Updated - - -

and to validate u, i've been frustrated, too, with the pb not caring about what i want and trying to get by with whatever. with the amount that i manage the job and catch mistakes, sometimes i wish i would've managed the whole job! although, i like the warranty and backing from the pb
I think she is talking about the expansion joint.

20150602_173743_zpsdnauf935.jpg

The expansion joint doesn't look good from just the one pic you posted, but if you look at the overhead shot from your build thread, it seems to flow with the rest of the joints in your deck. I think it looks good overall.

The electrical. . .not so much. Looks like it was something done by an apprentice just learning electric work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.