Mini Vacation - Gone from pool nightmare!!!!

brmommy

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2013
Southeast Ohio
I went away for 4 days on a girl scout trip with my daughter. I didn't want hubby to have to mess with the pool while I was gone because he doesn't really use it care much for it. So I decided to put in a Chlorine pack into the Aqua Smart System for the 4 days I was gone. I'm back home and just looked out at the pool and noticed the water was to the bottom of the skimmer. I went down to find this.
burst.jpg

It appears I when I put the filter on "closed" to put in the chlorine pack, I forgot to set the multi port back on filter. So it was in the closed position when I turned the pump back on a walked away. :hammer: Didn't check it before I left the next morning early. So the pump was running with the port closed. Would the pressure then cause the line to burst? It looks like it swelled then burst. The pump wasn't running when I found this. I went and checked and it had kicked the GFI breaker off. I reset the breaker and turned the motor on for a couple seconds and it sounds like it would work but don't know if it will or what damage might have been done.

So my questions are, does anyone think the pump is ruined? Do you think the multi port would be damaged? Any other problems you think I might be facing? I have an hour drive to get what I need so want to make as few trips as possible.

If the breaker kicked it off, you should be fine.

Don't you just hate it when we do something like that? Well, it is unfortunate that the line burst, and I know you weren't thrilled about the pump being off. Many motors have thermal switch protecting devices built-in, so perhaps when it ran without water and got hot, it triggered the GFCI or even its own heat protection. Either way, it's a good sign it wanted to run when you got back. Not sure there's anything else you can do but just turn it back on and watch if for a bit. Of course repairing the ruptured line will be required. Who knows, perhaps it could've been worse. Maybe some other TFP'ers will have input. Welcome home. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.