First TF test kit results

May 24, 2015
Florida
Hello all,

So my test kit arrived and after familiarizing myself with the instructions, I ran the test with only a little confusion and the results are as follows:

TA 90
CH 275
FC 8
CC 0
pH 8.0
Cya 57

During the ch test, it turned a shade of pale purple and took another 2 drops before it turned what I would safely call blue.

Aside from that, pretty straightforward. I turned the swg down a few days ago from 30% to 15% when oto basic fc test showed 5ppm consistently.

Any feedback on the next steps is appreciated. I've done a bit of reading so I think I've got the idea, but then again, the last time I though I was taking the proper steps, I added a box of soda ash to the pool, haha.

I'm hesitant on this one to go simply off of the pool calc, at least until I become a bit more familiar.

Thanks again,

Hi Havoc!

Thats not too bad!

The only things I see are
1. Lower your pH just a bit. Maintain your pH somewhere from about 7.5 to 7.8. When it gets to 8 or above, it becomes risky for calcium scale.
2. SInce you have a SWG, bump up your CYA to 70 if you want to. Maintain your FC as per the FC/CYA chart.

Dont worry about TA to much. With a SWG, you want it a bit on the lower side. Using Muriatic Acid to lower pH will slowly bring that TA down just a bit more over time.
If you find you are having to lower pH a lot, (2 or 3 times a week), then at that time, consider getting more active in lowering TA so as to slow down the pH rise.

When doing the CH test, add regent 1 drop at a time until there is absolutely no more color change. Then subtract that last drop, and thats your CH.
Whether its 250 or 275 isnt important, as long as you are in the mid 200's, then it's good.

Awesome, thanks everyone. Its rained pretty heavily here, so I'm going to rerun the tests, one for further familiarization, and two just to see first hand the effect of the rain.

I'll add based in the pool calculator at that point.

Thanks again, all. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.