Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First TF test kit results

1. Back To Top    #1

First TF test kit results

Hello all,

So my test kit arrived and after familiarizing myself with the instructions, I ran the test with only a little confusion and the results are as follows:

TA 90
    CH 275
    FC 8
    CC 0
    pH 8.0
    Cya 57

During the ch test, it turned a shade of pale purple and took another 2 drops before it turned what I would safely call blue.

Aside from that, pretty straightforward. I turned the swg down a few days ago from 30% to 15% when oto basic fc test showed 5ppm consistently.

Any feedback on the next steps is appreciated. I've done a bit of reading so I think I've got the idea, but then again, the last time I though I was taking the proper steps, I added a box of soda ash to the pool, haha.

I'm hesitant on this one to go simply off of the pool calc, at least until I become a bit more familiar.

Thanks again,
    -Loring
    10,000 Gal IG PebbleTec, travertine deck, Pentair IntelliChlor SWG, 1.5hp and 1hp pumps, easytouch 4 w/remote and wifi, waterfall/firebox combo

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First TF test kit results

Looks like you did it! Good job!

Your PH needs to come down. Use Pool Math to see how much MA you need to use.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Havoc!

Thats not too bad!

The only things I see are
    1. Lower your pH just a bit. Maintain your pH somewhere from about 7.5 to 7.8. When it gets to 8 or above, it becomes risky for calcium scale.
    2. SInce you have a SWG, bump up your CYA to 70 if you want to. Maintain your FC as per the FC/CYA chart.

Dont worry about TA to much. With a SWG, you want it a bit on the lower side. Using Muriatic Acid to lower pH will slowly bring that TA down just a bit more over time.
    If you find you are having to lower pH a lot, (2 or 3 times a week), then at that time, consider getting more active in lowering TA so as to slow down the pH rise.

When doing the CH test, add regent 1 drop at a time until there is absolutely no more color change. Then subtract that last drop, and thats your CH.
    Whether its 250 or 275 isnt important, as long as you are in the mid 200's, then it's good.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Looking good! +1 on lowering PH.

Here is the Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Awesome, thanks everyone. Its rained pretty heavily here, so I'm going to rerun the tests, one for further familiarization, and two just to see first hand the effect of the rain.

I'll add based in the pool calculator at that point.

Thanks again, all.
    -Loring
    10,000 Gal IG PebbleTec, travertine deck, Pentair IntelliChlor SWG, 1.5hp and 1hp pumps, easytouch 4 w/remote and wifi, waterfall/firebox combo