Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A little overwhelmed...

1. Back To Top    #1

A little overwhelmed...

Ok... So I purchased the tf100 XL science lab... I mean test kit. . I don't know where to start...is there a preferred order I should start doing the tests? Little coaching for this rookie would be great! Once I get the basic tests done... I will post those numbers and see what I need to do...

Thanks in advance!
    ~16,500g, in ground gunite pool, Hayward pro series sand filter, Emerson pumps, TF 100 XL test kit, Speed Stir, Polaris 280 pool sweep (I believe that is the model)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A little overwhelmed...

No worries Pete. The only thing specific as far as order goes, is you have to do the CC test immediately following the FC test.
    Other than that, it doesnt matter which order you do them.

hope this helps,
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Good news... Well, I guess I know what I have... Bad news... Not much:

TC- .5
    PH- 7.2
    BR- 1
    FC- 1
    CC- .5-1 (couldn't 100% tell)
    CH- 150
    TA- 60
    CYA- didn't register on the dot test... Could see it all the way to the top

btw, I think my pool is closer to 16,500 gals... I have been getting mixed information...

Please help! . What do do first?
    ~16,500g, in ground gunite pool, Hayward pro series sand filter, Emerson pumps, TF 100 XL test kit, Speed Stir, Polaris 280 pool sweep (I believe that is the model)

4. Back To Top    #4

Per the pool math, I added a 121 bottle of 8% bleach... I filled a sock full of dry cyuranic acid, put in skimmer... Added 1/3-1/2 bottle of calcium chloride ( adding in stages, since it said too)... Added about 4 lbs of baking soda...

and wait to test tomorrow I guess...

any advice would be appreciated.

5. Back To Top    #5

Sounds ok Pete.

Just keep in mind it will take several days for CYA to register on the test, so dont waste the regent testing for it for several days.

looks like you are doing all the right things.

What is it you are getting mixed information on? I would like to help clear that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete.Spencer View Post
    Per the pool math, I added a 121 bottle of 8% bleach... I filled a sock full of dry cyuranic acid, put in skimmer... Added 1/3-1/2 bottle of calcium chloride ( adding in stages, since it said too)... Added about 4 lbs of baking soda...

and wait to test tomorrow I guess...

any advice would be appreciated.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

The actual size of my pool... The previous owner said he thought it was 16,500... The. The pool store that they went to said they had it logged at 20,000...I have a kidney shaped pool, so I used the calculator and at my guess, comes out to give or take 17000...

7. Back To Top    #7

ahhh ok.
    Yeah, things like Kidney and Free Forms can be difficult to measure.

Well, if you want to know for sure, there is a way of measuring it chemically. Either by the TA method or the pH method.
    Its a little technmical, but it works. Ive done it a few times on my pool and on other friends.

Use a calculator and the instructions in the following post, and you can narrow it down pretty well.
    If this is a bit much for you, then put it aside until a time comes when you feel more comfortable with adding stuff, using your test kit.
    If nothing else, its an interesting read.
    A Chemical Way of Calculating Pool Volume
    Divin Dave,

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Pete.Spencer View Post
    Ok... So I purchased the tf100 XL science lab... I mean test kit. !
    Ha ha! My thoughts exactly upon opening the package!
    Intex Ultra 9'x18' AG, 2800 Gph .75hp pump, 77# sand filter, Intex ECO SWG, Hayward wide mouth skimmer, KK Lil Shark vacuum, Intex magnetic light, TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

9. Back To Top    #9

That is a cool write up... But might be a little much for me right now...I think ( and hope) that going with 17,000 gal pool math calculator, that will get me close to where I need to be... And if I am able to get it consistent great... If not, I will assume my volume isn't close enough and change from there... Hope that sounds reasonable... Somehow I feel like I am walking into a bear trap... But hey, my wife wanted a pool, right!?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by FunFinder View Post
    Ha ha! My thoughts exactly upon opening the package!
    Glad I'm not the only one! Haha!

11. Back To Top    #11

If anything, use a lower pool volume estimate to start with. It's easier to add more of your needed chemicals if you fall short of your targets with Pool Math than it is to take it out. Especially with CYA.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

12. Back To Top    #12

10-4...I'll go with 16,500 then... And go from there. Thank you!