New Here!

Kevinn

Jun 1, 2015
Jackson/New Jersey
15x25 above ground pool with a sand filter & 1.5 motor. I opened the pool 10 days ago, water in the pool was clear with a few small leaves and a few small hills of sand in the bottom. I filled up the pool and using the K2005 test kit and the BBB method the kids started swimming. A few days later the water became cloudy, I followed the instructions from the test kit, I didn't discover TFP until yesterday, and things haven't gotten much better. My latest numbers are as follows;
Ph 7.6
TA 90
Ch 270
CYA 100
Chlorine/bleach too high to read with test kit. Yesterday, before reading TFP, I started using Potassium Peroxymonosulfate, 2 bags last night. Filter running. My pool is in the sun all day, so I understand the CYA is allowed to be 70-80, correct? Should I replenish 20% of the water? Thanks for any help. I'm new to this site and am trying to read as much as I can.

Kevinn, welcome to TFP. No SWG correct? Then your CYA should be between 30-50. :) You really need one of the recommended test kits (see my TF-100 link below). These kits DO read higher chlorine levels and CYA for you ... and you need that right now. Store testing and store products are a big "no-no". You need to start reading the SLAM page (linked below), coupled with the Chlorine/CYA chart below as well and start getting prepared to add liquid bleach at the SLAM level indicated. Glad to have you aboard Kevinn. Make sure you get that test kit right away. Keep us posted.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, stop adding anything to your pool except for liquid bleach right now. Those "other" products are what are raising your CYA to an unmanageable level.

Welcome! :wave:

You can buy just the FAS-DPD test to turn your K-2005 into a K-2006 test kit. While you're there, order any refills you need.

You've probably noticed the graduations on the CYA view tube get closer together near the bottom. What you see as 100 CYA may well be 120 or 130 or worse. You can run the dilution test to get a better reading. Step 9.

Then you should replace enough water to reduce the CYA to maybe 50. My pool in sunny Southern California does just fine there. Lower CYA also makes the next step easier.

Cloudy water means algae is starting to grow. The chlorine you have and the MPS managed to kill some and what you're seeing is their dead bleached carcasses. But they'll be back. When you have the CYA down to a manageable level and you have the FAS-DPD test kit, you can perform the Shock Level And Maintain process to get that pool clear and sparkly again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.