Jeffsp

Jun 2, 2015
Matawan NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section. I put up my pool last year, according to, at the time the towns requirements, it included bonding using 8 gauge bare copper around the pool, and I mounted it in 6 spots. Long story I passed final inspection last year, or so I thought. Got a notice last week saying my permit was still open and they required an inspection. Inspector came out today and said I need to bond the water and that I needed a bonding grid.

So for bonding the water, I'll probably just go with the Bond safe 680 skimmer plate, but where do I get a copper grid? Do I make my own? Can anyone suggest how far out from the pool it needs to go and how deep it should be on the ground? I did see a lot in the searches but a lot seemed to be for just doing a single 8 gauge wire, like I originally had done.
Thank you all

Hello all, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section. I put up my pool last year, according to, at the time the towns requirements, it included bonding using 8 gauge bare copper around the pool, and I mounted it in 6 spots. Long story I passed final inspection last year, or so I thought. Got a notice last week saying my permit was still open and they required an inspection. Inspector came out today and said I need to bond the water and that I needed a bonding grid.

So for bonding the water, I'll probably just go with the Bond safe 680 skimmer plate, but where do I get a copper grid? Do I make my own? Can anyone suggest how far out from the pool it needs to go and how deep it should be on the ground? I did see a lot in the searches but a lot seemed to be for just doing a single 8 gauge wire, like I originally had done.
Thank you all

Search for "bonding a pool" in youtube and you see many useful videos - look especially at those by a Mike Holt - probably the foremost expert on Equipotential Bonding. The Code has changed over the years. Also, once the inspector sees you understand the reason for bonding at and around a pool he may be easier to work with - and your pool will be safer too.

If you passed an inspection last year you should have received a stamped document of some sort or at least a sign-off on the original permit.

You also indicated that you placed a bond wire around the pool connecting it at 6 places (4 are the NEC requirement). This is the grid that you are required to have. The waterbond will have to be connected to this.

So I guess I should ask, when he says grid, he is referring to just the bond wire that I have already run? Not necessarily an actual grid? After some research it seems the grid is only necessary if concrete was near? Which is not.
He mentioned that he saw 2 of the points that the bonding wire was connected to, but he wants it dug up showing that it's 18-24" from the perimeter of the pool and 4-6" deep.

I am suspecting that the inspector does not know the intricacies of NEC 680 and is quoting from memory more than knowledge.

Yes, the bonding grid is the wire around the pool 18" out and 6" deep. If there is a concrete deck, the wire would be connected to the reinforcing wire in it. This is where the term Grid comes from. Your pool needs to have 4 points of connection around the perimeter. All 4 points must be connected to the pool frame with DB (direct burial) lugs. Split bolt connections are allowed to connect the #8 wire from the frame to the perimeter wire. The perimeter wire must also be connected to a water bond and a lug on the pump if it is not a double insulated motor. Also connections to a heater and any other metal device within 5' horizontally from the inside wall of the pool and 12' vertically.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.