West Jordan, UTAH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I just added 80oz. Of Muriatic to bring my PH down. How long until it's safe to swim?

Also, my son and I notice that the water burns our skin around the fingernails, especially when first putting your hand in the water. What might cause that?

All levels have been ok and in range except the low CYA and high TA.

Today's numbers before MA:

FC 5
CC 0.5
PH 7.7
TA 130
Salt 3400

What is your CYA?

You only need about 30+ minutes after adding chemicals for it to be safe to swim, but concerned at this point about the burning :scratch:

If your CYA is 0, that could be an explanation. Or maybe a sensitivity to the salt?

What test kit are you using? Is it one of the Recommended Test Kits?

I would give it at least 30 minutes to circulate with the pump running. Since you have a VS pump, I would make sure it's running at at least half-speed or higher to ensure adequate and quick circulation. You can dial it back down after the MA has had adequate time to circulate.

Also, my son and I notice that the water burns our skin around the fingernails, especially when first putting your hand in the water. What might cause that?
Was this before or after you added the MA?

All levels have been ok and in range except the low CYA and high TA.
I don't see a result for CYA. May I ask what you are using to test with?

Kind of a burning and a tingling. You don't feel it under the water just on the surface.

CYA was 25 yesterday, just filled two socks up again today. Working my way up from 0.

I have the K-2006 kit with the 1766 salt test kit and test daily.

As long as there is some CYA in the water, then the FC of 5ppm is not likely too harsh.

Does it only tingle if you are on the deck and stick your hand in or also while you are in the water?

May I ask if this is something you feel on the surface while touching the deck. As in when your standing outside the pool and put you hand in. Or if you feel it on the surface when your whole self is in the pool not touching your concrete or other decking?

You beat me to it Jason.

My son seems to think its when he's touching something metal. I've noticed it when sticking my hand in the skimmer to get the basket, and also while in the water. Static perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm fine with the FC 5 but hesitate to go any higher. I'd bet my CYA is at 30 today (that was my target when I put in the CYA a week and a half ago)

I'm just wanting to bring the pH down as well as the TA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like It is electricity. Likely due to not having the deck bonded property.

I've had the same issue. There is a rather long thread on it here......I'd have to search. Some investigation on your part would be in order.

We are all getting at that there may be a potentially dangerous situation here and we do not want to just blow it off as nothing.

If the pool was properly bonded, then feeling an electrical tingling would not be possible. But if that is what you are feeling, there is in fact 2 problems ... 1. That there is an electrical potential being released by something and 2. that the bonding was not done properly so that you do not feel the potential.

Nearly impossible for us to diagnose over the internet, but something you really should get to the bottom of. You may be able to try to measure a voltage with a multi-meter between various surfaces around the pool. Or may need to get a professional over to investigate and remedy.

How old is the pool?

+1^^^^^

It sounds like you have a dangerous electrical situation. Just like Jason said, it can't be diagnosed over the Internet.

I've been through this. A volt meter will help you determine if this is the case. We could measure 1volt when between deck and water. It is due to not having proper bonding first and foremost. But it is also due to stray voltage which simply exists. That is why proper bonding is essential. It makes the deck and the water equiponential, so you'd never feel that shock.

Ditto to everyone. Electricity + water = bad juju. We had a basement kitchen that had the same thing happen. The water from the faucet would shock a cut or cracked cuticle. Ended up isolating it with PVC vs the stainless it had. The bonding thing is real, and it's a shame sometimes it isn't done right. Fingers crossed you have a quick resolution.

This is my first year at this new house and first year with any kind of pool. I believe the pool to be roughly 10 years old? I'll do some research.

I do see a grounding rod sticking out of the concrete and couldn't figure out why it would be there except to stub people's toes on.

As I research further, what options might I have? Tearing all this concrete decking out seems like a bad idea to me. Can I add to the grounding already in place perhaps?

I can't answer on what options you have. A very good electrician could.

I know in my case cutting the concrete (not jacking it up) is an option to lay bonding wire and tie it in the the bonding loop. It is a potentially dangerous situation I'd your water and decking are not of the same equiponential value (hope I'm saying that right).

Does your pool have lights? Unplug them and see if the problem goes away. Look around the ground rod for any wires that may have been moved and not replaced. Do you have a metal detector? It can be used to find wires under the concrete. I'm not saying don't contact an electrician, but look for anything obvious might save him some time when he gets there.

Yes the pool has lights. They are switch operated and turned off all the time. I will disconnect them though and see if it gets any better. I'd bet that although the previous owner was an electrician the pool is not bonded correctly.

I'm a long time diy guy, I figure what I don't know I can learn. Whatever is going on it is made worse by salt water which is much more conductive. I agree it sound like it's not bonded properly. Definitely nothing to mess with.

And just to share.....I'm certain in my case this was a bonding issue. The power company cut all power to my property and could still measure the electricity between the deck and the pool. So stray voltage is a reality. They tried to blame the phone line but that then got inspected as well.

I'm saying this only to stress the potential danger you should consider. And to seek a professional to inspect unless you're familiar with electrical engineering.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.