How should I brace a full AGP so I can refurbish rusty metal toprails?

juiser

Jun 2, 2015
allentown, pa
Just one thing on a seemingly growing list of problems. *** The inside lip of the underside of the toprails on my above ground pool is dropping off rust chunks into pool. The pool is totally full now because of days of rain. Any SAFE ideas on how to brace the pool (keep it together) while I remove one toprail at a time maybe and wirebrush it and repaint it?
It's a 24 ft. diameter round above ground. I thought of buying tractor trailer strapping from Harbor Freight and going around the pool. A friend said to put boards against two of the upright supports and brace the boards from the ground. And only remove ONE section of top rail at a time. The circumference comes out to about 75 feet. I don't think they make straps that long. Need to desperately address this problem because it is causing yellow staining on the vinyl liner OR I'm starting a yellow algae outbreak.

I'd drain it down a foot or foot and a half, remove and work on ONE rail at a time and not worry about it. I think you'll be just fine. I removed one top rail shortly after mine was up, hung a pool light over the side, and replaced with no issues slap full. Later took it back off, removed light, replaced--still good to go.

Welcome btw!

You should be fine working on it one rail at a time, replacing it and moving on to the next.

thanks for the insight guys! I happened to speak to a pool place nearby that gave me some info. also. They said I can take two top pieces off at a time with no compromise to the structural integrity. Well,,,,,,,I took one side of one top rail off and POP. The post jumped out of place a bit. Just enough that I can't just lay the rail back on and screw it back down where it was. SO, I got 3 tractor trailer load straps and binders and am going around the pool with them. JUST FOR SO. lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.