Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How should I brace a full AGP so I can refurbish rusty metal toprails?

1. Back To Top    #1

How should I brace a full AGP so I can refurbish rusty metal toprails?

Just one thing on a seemingly growing list of problems. *** The inside lip of the underside of the toprails on my above ground pool is dropping off rust chunks into pool. The pool is totally full now because of days of rain. Any SAFE ideas on how to brace the pool (keep it together) while I remove one toprail at a time maybe and wirebrush it and repaint it?
    It's a 24 ft. diameter round above ground. I thought of buying tractor trailer strapping from Harbor Freight and going around the pool. A friend said to put boards against two of the upright supports and brace the boards from the ground. And only remove ONE section of top rail at a time. The circumference comes out to about 75 feet. I don't think they make straps that long. Need to desperately address this problem because it is causing yellow staining on the vinyl liner OR I'm starting a yellow algae outbreak.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How should I brace a full AGP so I can refurbish rusty metal toprails?

I'd drain it down a foot or foot and a half, remove and work on ONE rail at a time and not worry about it. I think you'll be just fine. I removed one top rail shortly after mine was up, hung a pool light over the side, and replaced with no issues slap full. Later took it back off, removed light, replaced--still good to go.

Welcome btw!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

You should be fine working on it one rail at a time, replacing it and moving on to the next.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Just did mine last year too, had three off at a time without issues on a 24ft round. Converted my top rails to resin while I was at it, sanding and painting looked like too much work
    24' Round AG, 12.5k Gal, 150 SF Cartridge, 1.5 hp Pump,
    TF-100 Test Kit, Intex 8110 SWG, "Blue2 D2" Pool Rover Jr

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks for the insight guys! I happened to speak to a pool place nearby that gave me some info. also. They said I can take two top pieces off at a time with no compromise to the structural integrity. Well,,,,,,,I took one side of one top rail off and POP. The post jumped out of place a bit. Just enough that I can't just lay the rail back on and screw it back down where it was. SO, I got 3 tractor trailer load straps and binders and am going around the pool with them. JUST FOR SO. lol