Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF-100 vs Taylor K-2006

1. Back To Top    #1

TF-100 vs Taylor K-2006

Just got my new TF-100 kit and Speed-Stir in mail today and ran all test with it. Then ran all test with my Taylor K-2006 kit. Everything is really close except for the CH.
    TF-100 read 275
    Taylor K-2006 read 220
    Pool store tells me 183
    Replastered a month ago and the pool sparkles like diamonds and clear as a bell.

What should I believe?????

All measures:

FC- 3.0
    CC- 0.5
    PH- 7.6
    TA- 90
    CYA- 30
    Borate- 45
    CH- ughhh
    Temp 80 degrees
    Rick T.
    12,000 gallon IG Kidney shape,gunite,white plaster w/25% blue quartz (Chlorine)
    Jandy LED Multi-color pool light, ,Pentair VS Pump,Pentair FNS 48 DE Filter,Polaris 280 Cleaner
    TF-100 test kit, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Speed Stir, BBB Method, PoolMath, TFPC

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: TF-100 vs Taylor K-2006

Pool store results I wouldn't expect to be accurate, so scratch that off.

How old is your k-2006? I am inclined to believe your TF-100 since the reagents are fresh, but there could be other variables at play here.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with Donldson ... I mean the reagents for the 2 kits are identical, so the results should be the same unless they are old or there was some testing error.

How much water did you use for the 2 CH tests? From the numbers, guessing 25ml for the K-2006 and 10ml for the TF-100
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep jblizzle you are correct I used 25ml mark on bottle with Taylor kit and 10ml mark on bottle with TF-100 kit. Maybe the reagent for the CH test is bad in the Taylor kit. I bought it a month ago but who knows how long its been sitting on shelf.
    Rick T.
    Jandy LED Multi-color pool light, ,Pentair VS Pump,Pentair FNS 48 DE Filter,Polaris 280 Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I doubt the reagents are bad.

When you do the 10 ml for the TF-100 the range is 1 drop or plus or minus 25 ppm. So the result could be 250.

With the Taylor test, you chose to use the 25 ml sample so your resolution is plus or minus 10 ppm. So the result could be 230.

The point is that CH roughly in the 200's is all that matters. If you have the time, test them both again using the same resolution....either 25 or 10 ml sample and see what you get.

Remember, the endpoint of ANY color change test is that you add drops until the last drop makes absolutely no further difference in the color. Subtract that last drop and that is your CH.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I agree with Dave, it is in the mid 200s which is close enough; although I understand the curiosity.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank yall for the quick response. I will retest tomorrow using the 10ml and the 25ml with the new TF-100 reagent. Sure am glad I found this site
    Rick T.

8. Back To Top    #8

I gotta ask... If you already had the Taylor K2006, why did you invest in another kit?

9. Back To Top    #9

Also, make sure you are hold the reagent bottle perfectly vertically (upside down) when doing the drop tests. If you hold the bottle at an angle other than vertical, the drops will be smaller than they should be, skewing your results to the high side. And if you hold the bottle at a different angle each time you do the test, your results will be inconsistent.
    25000-gallon semi-public IG concrete/plaster pool, Triton II sand filter
    750-gallon semi-public IG concrete/plaster spa, cartridge filter
    Volunteer pool caretaker for my condominium complex

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    I gotta ask... If you already had the Taylor K2006, why did you invest in another kit?

I figured my Taylor K-2006 might be old since it was cover in dust from pool store shelf. Then I decided to go with what most everyone else here uses.The TF-100 along with the Speed-Stir which is a way cool device.
    Rick T.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by TomBorg View Post
    Also, make sure you are hold the reagent bottle perfectly vertically (upside down) when doing the drop tests. If you hold the bottle at an angle other than vertical, the drops will be smaller than they should be, skewing your results to the high side. And if you hold the bottle at a different angle each time you do the test, your results will be inconsistent.
    Hey, never heard that before, handy information.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by whataboy View Post
    Then I decided to go with what most everyone else here uses.The TF-100 along with the Speed-Stir which is a way cool device.
    I've never once read that anyone regretted getting that speed stir
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain