Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with Total Alkalinity

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with Total Alkalinity

My pool is pretty cloudy with a slight algae look. I've had my chlorine pretty high but it hasn't made a difference. Did some tests and noticed that my Total Alkalinity was high. I need some face to face advice so I went to Lesley ( this is my first pool season). They said that I need to add 6 gallons of muriatic acid to lower TA. This sounded wrong, so I checked pool math and it says something totally different.

Plus I've add about 10lbs of cyanuric acid (used a sock in each skimmer) over 2 weeks ago and my cya is still low.

Test results from Lesley's print out

fac 5
    tac 5
    ch 250
    cya 15
    ta 200
    ph 7.4
    tds 100
    pho 1000

I need some hand holding... or some basic knowledge of what to do and why.
    Pool Stats: 23x40 oval/kidney (I think 36k gallons) | Filter: Pentiar Tagelus TA60 | Pump: Lesley Power Max w/ Centurion 1081 motor / Heater: Hayward H400 / tf-100

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Help with Total Alkalinity

Please get yourself a recommended test kit. It will be the best investment you will make for your pool.

Definitely do not add 6 gallons of MA. You won't have any PH at all.

Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

I wouldn't put much stock in pool store test results. They are not reliable and are subject to wide variations depending on the in-store lighting and the person running the test. The CYA test in particular must be done in the proper lighting in order to get an accurate result. Since the proper maintenance dose of chlorine (FC) is dependent on the CYA level (FC/CYA Chart), your chlorine may or may not be adequate. If your pool is cloudy and has a "slight algae look", then odds are your FC level is either insufficient, dropped too low at some recent point, or your actual CYA level is higher than what those test results indicate. TA is not the leading cause of this "cloudy" look. TA is almost always the last parameter we worry about. We typically recommend adjusting it only if needed and only after the other parameters are adjusted to be in-range.

In order to practice our methods and make informed decisions you will need to take control of testing your pool with a good test kit. Here are the Recommended Test Kits. I use the TF-100 because it's the best value and they have a freshness guarantee. You can order it here: TFTestkits.net. They ship fast - you should have it in your hands in 2-3 days with normal shipping.

BTW, you can ignore TDS and phosphates.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

I was under the asumption that pool stores knew how to test water. Just wanted a second opinion.
    I do have a TF-100 test kit
    My test numbers
    FC 3.5
    CC 0
    TC 3.5
    TA 230
    PH 7.4

I'm going to add 4 gallons of 12% chlorine.
    Pool Stats: 23x40 oval/kidney (I think 36k gallons) | Filter: Pentiar Tagelus TA60 | Pump: Lesley Power Max w/ Centurion 1081 motor / Heater: Hayward H400 / tf-100

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Glad you have a TF 100. Always trust your testing over anyone else's.
    Pool stores do know how to test, but their testing is not accurate. That is the problem we have with them.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank goodness you did not add 6 gallons of acid. That would have not been good.
    your pH would have crashed big time.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!