Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borates now or in the spring?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Houston, TX

Borates now or in the spring?

I finally have all of my readings right where I want them. My test results from Saturday are the following:

FC = 3
    PH = 7.6
    TA = 90
    CH = 250
    CYA = 60

Should I add borates (20 mule & acid) now or wait for the spring? We are only using the spa now, the kids say it is too cold to swim in the pool
    - 25K Gallons, Jandy AquaPure Model Pure1400 SWG w/ AquaLink RS PDA, Jandy LXi Heater Model 400
    - Jandy CV460 Cartridge Filters
    - IG Plaster Pool w/ rock waterfall & weeping walls, Elevated spill-over spa
    - 2 X Jandy Stealth SHPM2.5 pumps (one for pool, one for waterfall), Pool Pump ~ 100 GPM in pool mode
    - UltraPure UPP25 Ozone Generator, Polaris 280 w/ Polaris Halcyon booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Borates now or in the spring?

It is really a question of when you have more time and what is easier for you. Having borates in the water will reduce your chances of getting algae over the winter just a little, but that isn't a large enough difference to influence the decision very much.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School