Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool Opening advice

Hello everyone

Last year was my first season using the TFP method. Here is a reminder what I started with last year:

Before pic!!

I used a cover over the off months and this is what I'm starting with this year

I'm getting ready to SLAM (yes, I have cleaned out debris and checked all equipment)

Here are my initial readings with TFP test kit:
    pH 7.5
    Chlorine 0
    CYA 0
    TA 100
    CH 75
    FC 10ppm
    CC 5ppm

I just checking with y'all about how to proceed to make sure I don't screw up anything!!! Lol
    I'm thinking:
    1. fix CYA
    2. SLAM
    3. add salt
    OR should it be :
    1. fix CYA
    2. add salt
    3. SLAM

Thank you all sooooo much!!! I love my Trouble Free Pool
    Joanne 18' X 36' rectangular 26,700 gal. IG, vinyl, sand filter (300 lbs of sand) replaced last season, Hayward 1 hp pump & Hayward booster pump 3/4 hp, SWG: AquaRite Electronic Chlorine generator with TurboCell CLX-5 (replace 2 yrs. ago), approx. 7 yrs old, Polaris pool cleaner (old, on it's last leg! make that dead!!) TF-100 Test kit w/XL, Pool School!! And LOTS of it!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening advice

First thing you should do is add about 10 ppm of FC to your pool before adding CYA. You had CYA in the pool last year so with a reading of 0 this year, there is a chance it may have been converted to ammonia over the winter. To see if there is ammonia conversion do the 10 ppm FC addition and check the FC/CC after 1 hour. Post your results then.

Rake out as many leaves as you possibly can in the process.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with JVTrain.

Have you added anything?
    Was the OTO test clear? And yet you measured 10ppm FC and 5ppm CC with the FAS-DPD? That does not compute.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

OTO test?? Remind me which one that is. Could my DPD powder from last year be no good? It has dark purple chunks in it.

- - - Updated - - -

All I have added so far was about 7 gallons of bleach while I was vacuuming, brushing & cleaning out debris.
    Joanne 18' X 36' rectangular 26,700 gal. IG, vinyl, sand filter (300 lbs of sand) replaced last season, Hayward 1 hp pump & Hayward booster pump 3/4 hp, SWG: AquaRite Electronic Chlorine generator with TurboCell CLX-5 (replace 2 yrs. ago), approx. 7 yrs old, Polaris pool cleaner (old, on it's last leg! make that dead!!) TF-100 Test kit w/XL, Pool School!! And LOTS of it!!

5. Back To Top    #5

In your results you list the pH and the say chlorine = 0 (the OTO is the yellow matching test with the pH) .. then later give the FC and CC.

The powder can get chunky and purple, just break it back up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, the OTO was clear. I have vacuumed again, backwashed & added 4 gallons of bleach. Will retest in 1 hr. & report back Thanks!!

7. Back To Top    #7

If the OTO was clear, then I do not understand how you got any reading from the FAS-DPD test. The OTO is a nearly bulletproof test for the presence of chlorine in the water.

How was the test kit stored from last year?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

I stored my test kit in a closet over the winter.
    Obviously I screwed something up the first round of tests because here are my new test results after adding 4 gals. of bleach & circulating for 1 hr:

CL 5
    Br 10
    pH 7.5

FC 4.5 ppm
    CC .5 ppm

CH 100
    TA 110
    CYA 0

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok, add 30ppm CYA, add acid to get PH to 7.2 and SLAM. Then add salt and get SWG working after SLAM.

Nice opening!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks so much! Do I have to add the CYA slowly through the sock method? Or can I just dump it in so I can start the SLAM?

11. Back To Top    #11

The sock is not that slow if you squeeze it often. And then you know when it is dissolved.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Add it in a sock, suspended in front of a return. Pump running 24/7 and occasionally squeezing the sock will dissolve the CYA fairly quickly. Even though it won't all be instantly dissolved, assume your CYA is at the level you targeted with the addition of the CYA and start the SLAM. For instance, assume your CYA is now 30 if you added enough to get there for the purposes of a SLAM.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

13. Back To Top    #13

Great!! Thanks so much, I'm on it Am I going to need to bring the CYA up to 70 after the SLAM? It should be 70-80 according to PoolMath.

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes. After the SLAM, then you can get your CYA higher (70 at first) and work on dialing in your SWCG. It's easier/cheaper to SLAM at lower CYA levels so best to wait til the water is clear. If you need to while dialing in the SWCG after the SLAM, keep some bleach around to supplement until you figure out run time and % generation.

15. Back To Top    #15

Hi everyone,

The SLAM is going great thanks to all I have learned here and all y'alls help!!!

While I'm slamming I need to learn about "dialing in my SWG". I would love to be able to use the timer. I see that I have one, but have always turned the pump on & off manually. I took pics because I don't see the "trippers" that should be on the dial to set it with according to the directions inside..... I also took a pic of the directions such as they are. If anyone can help with this, I appreciate it as always (Or do I need to post this in a different thread?) Thanks!!

16. Back To Top    #16

You can get the little on / off trippers from most any hardware store. Just look for ones that will work with Intermatic mechanical timers ... might be by the hot water heaters.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

So a tripper is just a little screw on piece that holds the position for the clock dial to start & stop at?

18. Back To Top    #18

That is right.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

Awesome!! Thank you I have been studying up in Pool School about SWGs, SWG Water Balance & Pump Run Time..... I will buy the trippers & be ready to go as soon as SLAM is finished

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast