Rebar Rust???

tackettaj

LifeTime Supporter
May 26, 2015
Mooresville, NC
My pool is brand new and has had water in it for about 3 weeks now. Two days ago this stain presented itself. Each morning it looks like it has an orange layer on it and then when I flake it off with a brush it's orange/black. Pictures attached. I asked the PB to look at it but wanted to get your thoughts on it first. Do you think this is rebar bleeding through?

Attachments

• IMG_3545.jpg
    IMG_3545.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_3546.jpg
    IMG_3546.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 109
Someone else posted something similar to this a couple weeks ago. It turned out to be a small piece of metal that somehow got into the plaster. The builder was able to get it out and repair it.

It sounds like this is what I should hope for since everything I have read about rebar rust requires the repair to go into the gunite and remove the rusted rebar.

I had this problem on a pool a number of years ago. It turned out to be one of the wires that attach one rebar to another was not tied back properly and was sticking out too close to the surface of the plaster. The PB knocked the plaster off from around the wire, cut the wire then patched the plaster. Sucks that you would have to drain the pool to do this. I would get the PB to not only fix this, but to pay for the water bill and new start up chemicals also.

Hate to hear that. I figured it would require some additional work and draining down the pool. Hopefully they only have to drain it down to the area (3" below tile line). I intend on having the PB cover all expenses.

Thanks for helping with your reply!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The PB just came out and looked at the spot. He used some sandpaper to remove the spot and said to keep an eye on it. Not 15 minutes after he left the rust stain came back. So....it looks like it's probably a rebar bleed. They have to drain the pool below the stain and remove it. The good thing is the spot is only about 3" below the tile line so minimal water loss. The will be covering the water and any chems needed to re-balance the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.