Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Basic TFP and chlorine question with respect to plaster/pool equip.

1. Back To Top    #1

Basic TFP and chlorine question with respect to plaster/pool equip.

I see from the CYA/Chlorine chart that if I had a CYA reading of 70, then I'd want my FC to be at 8 and my shock FC to be 24.
    Besides possible skin irritation, what does that high of a CL2 level do to my dyed grey plaster? My pool finish is a combo of quartz and dyed plaster. Will it fade it over time? Any harm to pool equipment or heater?

I am working on getting my CYA down to the 30 - 40 range so I can run lower CL2 levels. But in the meantime.... ?
    28K gallon, raised beam, plaster/ceramic color quartz with attached spa. TF-100 test kit
    Hayward 1.5HP super pump, DE4800 DE filter, Hayward inline chlorinator w/3" tabs (off)
    Pool: 2 floor drains, 2 skimmers, 3 floor returns, 2 wall returns, 3.5' deep > 8' deep
    Spa: 2 floor drains, 4 jet returns

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Basic TFP and chlorine question with respect to plaster/pool equip.

Our recommended levels are designed to generally be safe for the pool ... and even at shock level may be less harsh that your typical un-stabilized public pool.

What matters is the ratio of the FC to CYA level ... not necessarily the absolute FC level.

This link shows the relative harshness / active chlorine level as a function of CYA and FC:
    http://richardfalk.home.comcast.net/.../pool/HOCl.htm
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!