2 Questions

AdamS

Bronze Supporter
May 5, 2015
New Milford, New Jersey
Hi everyone, I have 2 questions I hope you can help me with, thanks in advance!

1. We have had a ton of rain the past couple days here in NJ, how high does the water need to get for me to need to drain some?

2. My nephew was in my pool over the weekend, and now has coxsackie virus (happens in little kids), and I remember when my daughter got it years ago the Dr. said she may have picked it up in the pool. So do I need to do something extra to my pool to make sure its not in there? Does it only spread in pools if they are not properly chlorinated? Any info would be appreciated!

1. It shouldn't be much more than halfway up your skimmer mouth.

2. Outside of saying you should keep the suggested levels of free chlorine based on your Cya, none of us are qualified to give medical advice related to pools. Sorry about that.

CDC states that bacteria/virus is killed by FC in concentrations of 1ppm to 3ppm anywhere from 1 minute for bacterias to 16 minutes for a virus like hepatitis. this is based on CYA of zero though, so need to adjust for your CYA level

link to CDC: CDC - Chlorine Disinfection Timetable - Pools Recreational Water - Healthy Water

basically bacteria and viruses don't survive in pools very long, parasites can.

my advice, just bump up your FC a bit and you will be fine. bigger concern would be things around the pool and inside/outside the house that he may have touched as source for possible contamination.

Adam if your water is at the top of the skimmer, it sounds like it may be time to let a little drain - especially if you know more rain is coming. As already noted, medical specifics isn't something we have the ability to discuss, but we can speak in general terms of water clarity and pool maintenance. By that I mean if you post some standard test results (FC, CC, TA, PH, CYA) we can at least let you know the condition of your water for typical swimming and care of pool equipment. If you do post results, please make sure the are done so (preferably by you) using one of the TFP-recommended test kits (see the TF-100 link below).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.