Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

2 Questions

Hi everyone, I have 2 questions I hope you can help me with, thanks in advance!

1. We have had a ton of rain the past couple days here in NJ, how high does the water need to get for me to need to drain some?

2. My nephew was in my pool over the weekend, and now has coxsackie virus (happens in little kids), and I remember when my daughter got it years ago the Dr. said she may have picked it up in the pool. So do I need to do something extra to my pool to make sure its not in there? Does it only spread in pools if they are not properly chlorinated? Any info would be appreciated!
    17x34 and ranges in depth from 3 ft to 6 ft.; I think 20-22 thousand Gallons
    IG -Vinyl with Waterfall
    Hayward Super Pump 1.5 HP
    Pentair DE 60 Filter
    Hayward H300 Heater; Taylor K-2006 Complete

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2 Questions

1. It shouldn't be much more than halfway up your skimmer mouth.

2. Outside of saying you should keep the suggested levels of free chlorine based on your Cya, none of us are qualified to give medical advice related to pools. Sorry about that.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, so if its at the top of skimmer I should drain?

Not looking for medical advice, just wondering if anyone had experience/ideas with this!

Thanks!
    17x34 and ranges in depth from 3 ft to 6 ft.; I think 20-22 thousand Gallons
    IG -Vinyl with Waterfall
    Hayward Super Pump 1.5 HP
    Pentair DE 60 Filter
    Hayward H300 Heater; Taylor K-2006 Complete

4. Back To Top    #4

What are your pool test results? That would have determine how likely the pool was the problem. Specifically is you FC high enough for your CYA level?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

CDC states that bacteria/virus is killed by FC in concentrations of 1ppm to 3ppm anywhere from 1 minute for bacterias to 16 minutes for a virus like hepatitis. this is based on CYA of zero though, so need to adjust for your CYA level

link to CDC: CDC - Chlorine Disinfection Timetable - Pools Recreational Water - Healthy Water

basically bacteria and viruses don't survive in pools very long, parasites can.

my advice, just bump up your FC a bit and you will be fine. bigger concern would be things around the pool and inside/outside the house that he may have touched as source for possible contamination.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

6. Back To Top    #6

Adam if your water is at the top of the skimmer, it sounds like it may be time to let a little drain - especially if you know more rain is coming. As already noted, medical specifics isn't something we have the ability to discuss, but we can speak in general terms of water clarity and pool maintenance. By that I mean if you post some standard test results (FC, CC, TA, PH, CYA) we can at least let you know the condition of your water for typical swimming and care of pool equipment. If you do post results, please make sure the are done so (preferably by you) using one of the TFP-recommended test kits (see the TF-100 link below).
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

The skimmer is designed to work best with the water level halfway up. If you expect more rain, take it an inch lower than that. If you expect hot dry weather, leave it an inch or so higher.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!