New invention to keep our pools clean

Great idea!

Does anyone have any experience with the robotic leaf skimmers? I can't seem to find the link, but I recall seeing a "dolphin" or something that was batter or solar powered (don't remember which) that cruised around the top of the pool skimming leaves.

Sorry, no experience but there is a remote controlled "boat" that is a leaf skimmer. They are called Jet Net Leaf Remote Controlled Leaf Skimmers. I have never actually seen one but they look like fun. :-D The reviews from several websites looked to be pretty good too. The average price seems to be around $140.00. Good luck!

My returns are going to be in the bottom of the pool, so the poolskim device, while cool, probably wouldn't be a very good solution.

My issue will more than likely be the negative edge basin, if the leaves clear the negative edge (which I suspect they will). That will be the source of my mess. There is a dedicated vacuum line in the basin, so maybe I can find something that will work in there.

I have been sucked into buying a few different of these things. A skimmer/leaf canister that goes between the cleaner (suction) and the port. Looks good, sounds good, but could not get enough suction with my navigator for either to work correctly.
A pool devil, used pressure side to force the flow through a net. Flawed also.
A floating net thingy that goes inline with a pool return flow so the return pushes debris into the net. That actually worked the best of all of them, how ever still not that great. The strings used to attach it to the coping always allowed it move out of the flow. Trying to get it to stop moving was an effort in bricks and string placement.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the PoolSkim and it works for me. I do not have leaves in my pool but I get dust, bugs, grass clippings. The top of my water when viewed at an angle was always dirty. I have two skimmers but since I use a 2sp pump on low I never get enough suction or water movement.

Then I ordered the PoolSkim. Since I do not have leaves, I removed the blue net and attached a skimmer sock in its place. It filters all the small items that plague my pool. It is not perfect, I have to swap out the skimmer sock once a week and they last maybe two-three weeks. Also, I have 5 returns and in order to get enough pressure on low pump speed I had to put the PoolSkim on the first return coming from the pump and closed off the second return. One issue I have is that my PB used slip return eyes, meaning no threads so I had to modify my return with threaded couplings and had to use underwater putty to hold it in its place. Sometimes the threaded coupling comes undone and I have to putty it again. All in all, it is still worth the small hassles.

A few years back we tried as an experiment a gizmo called a "Pool Gobbler" - billed as a very low budget pool cleaning tool - it fit into one of the returns, replacing the eyeball. You got an adapter with an elbow that attached to a 3-4' long flex hose, and a float with a large hole in it that went on the end of the hose. In the hole was the opening of a large net bag - probably a couple feet long, made out of a stretchy nylon. It came with two bags, if I'd needed replacements I probably would have tried experimenting with something like a heavy duty ladies stocking...

The basic idea was simple enough, the thing plugged into the return and floated on the surface with the return jet blowing through the hole in the float. This created a venturi action that sucked in floating leaves and pushed them into the net bag. For the under $20 price, it did a pretty decent job, but we had to take it out after installing our Polaris cleaner as the robot either thought it was tasty, or developed a romantic attachement to it... (Depends on the point of view...) :lol: :wink:

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
... we had to take it out after installing our Polaris cleaner as the robot either thought it was tasty, or developed a romantic attachement to it... (Depends on the point of view...) :lol: :wink:

Gooserider

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.