Pool rash, maybe?

Jun 2, 2015
NH
Although my head is spinning, I realize this is a great place to learn. I thank everyone in advanced. So here it is. Family of 6 here and 3 of us developed a what my wife calls a rash, lasted a couple of days and is gone. She thinks it's the pool water. I opened the pool 10 days ago to crystal clear water. Brought up a sample to pool store, was told everything was fine. I have a 24' above ground pool, and I use " enjoy once a week" for maintenance. I've used this the past two season with not one problem. After the rashes developed I took another sample up there was told everything still looks good.
FC .3, TC .1, ph7.3, Alk 77( just added alkalinity plus to get it up) stabilizer 72. I asked about bacteria after my wife went online and read horror stories. They said I would know if there was bacteria in pool (coloration and slime). This rash can be from anything inside or outside of pool. Wondering if there was a way to test for it. I'm still learning and reading here. How can I eliminate cause of rash being from pool. One more thing any recomendations for test kit. Thanks

Welcome! :wave:

If (Big if) the pool store test is right, you have insufficient chlorine for your CYA (stabilizer) level. With 72 CYA, your minimum FC level should be 6. You're not even close. Odds are, your unstabilized tap water has higher FC in it! So, yes, I'd say the rash is caused by the pool.

Fixing things is relatively easy once you have a test kit. The best bang for the buck is the TF100. Spring for the speedstir and/or the XL option and get it shipped free.

For starters, post the type of pool - above ground, plaster, how big. What do you do for chlorine? Liquid or tablets, etc.

And you should purchase your own test kit. Taylor is recommended here so we are all on the same page. Pool stores are generally sloppy, and are in the business of selling by testing.

As people look over your results and your situation, remedies will be forthcoming.

EDIT" ^^ what he said...

Hi barron,
Most pool store testing is just plain wrong as well as the adivce they give. Yours is just one more example of it.

I suggest first you got your own reliable test it and test the water yourself for best results. EIther the TF100 or the Taylor K20006 are recommended. The taylor can be found at various websites. The TF100 is only available at teftkits.net. Link to that site in my sig. The TF100 is best bang for the buck.

Next,
the pool store is wrong. Everything with your pool chemistry is not fine.
The CYA of 72 in your water is there to buffer chlorine...to keep it from being burned off by the sun. Key word here is "buffered", meaning it is held in reserve and less effective.

Your FC is 3 which is way below the effectiveness threshold for Free CHlorine to sanitize the pool and hold back algae with a CYA of 70
Effective FC is a nminimum of 7.5% of your CYA level and a recommended level of 11.5%. If your FC is below the minimum, your health is at risk.

Next. The pool store is flat out wrong and in my opinion giving dangerous advice telling you that if you do not have discoloration and slime, that you do not have bacteria or other pathogens in the water. Its preposterous. Discoloration, cloudy or green and slimy surfaces are algae, not bacteria or pathogens.

This burns me up to no end, and it should you too.

Here is the effective FC/CYA chart.
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Here is the science supporting the FC/CYA chart
Pool Water Chemistry
Edited to correct the link.

Do yourself and your family a favor.
Get your own test kit, fire the pool store immediately and enjoy a clean and sanitary pool, rash free.

Welcome! You are going to LOVE it here! We can get your water right with your help. Get a good test kit like said above and let us know when you have it. We can go from there.

Yeah, I know the pool store will test your water for "free" BUT is is really free when they try to sell you x,y, z for $$$. Nope! AND most (not all) of the time their tests are wrong :(

Kim

Thanks for quick responses, I will order kit right now, is anyone familiar with "enjoy once a week" I was told it is a limited chlorine product, with copper based pucks.Does this change things as far test result? My pool store is never trying to push any chemicals on me. What should I do in the meantime until I get my test kit.

enjoy once a week is a copper based algaecide. It is not an oxidizing sanitizer and will do you no good at all. No need for it if you maintain proper FC levels as Posted a chart to previously.

The copper in that product will cause ugly staining on your pool surfaces and turn blonde hair green if the pH gets high. Advise to stay away from anything that has copper or any other metal ions in it.

Thanks for quick responses, I will order kit right now, is anyone familiar with "enjoy once a week" I was told it is a limited chlorine product, with copper based pucks.Does this change things as far test result? My pool store is never trying to push any chemicals on me. What should I do in the meantime until I get my test kit.

And I would stop using Enjoy 'Once a Week' asap and switch to the TFP Method. Here's their brochure... I can't find an MSDS which is a red flag for me - if you don't know what you are putting in your pool then don't do it! Other forum posts on the internet seem to indicate it contains copper sulfate, perhaps why they claim to be able to use less chlorine?

http://www.njonas.com/pdf/sell-sheets/enjoy.pdf

You don't want copper in your pool. It's a great algaecide, but it also can leave stains on the pool walls and turn blond hair green. Under the right conditions, it can turn the water a gorgeous Emerald Green. Then you're locked into buying expensive metal sequestrants essentially forever, or until you drain the pool.

We prefer liquid bleach. Do you have anything at all to test your FC with until the good kit arrives? I'd suggest a full jug of plain 8.25% clorox or the store equivalent right now. And if you can test it at all, keep it above 6, maybe target 8 every day using poolmath. If you don't even have a cheapie pH & chlorine tester, then add ½ a jug every day thereafter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.