Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ph creeping up

1. Back To Top    #1

Tucson area, AZ

Ph creeping up

Generally I have no problems with Ph, so this issue surprised me. I chlorinate using Kim-Tec liquid chlorine usually, or Up & Up brand bleach if I only get over to Target and not Lowe's. I also occasionally use Kim-tec brand tri-chlor if my CYA needs to be raised. I just started with using tricolor to raise my CYA again on Saturday. Since I only occasionally have to get my Ph down, I use Kim-tec brand Ph minus, as muriatic acid tends to sit around a long time before I get it all used used up - generally I will not go through a 2 gallon case in a season.
    Anyway, I noticed my Ph was starting to creep. I measured 7.8 yesterday (actually more between 7.6 and 7.8), so I put in about 1/3 cup of Ph minus. Today I checked my Ph again, and it was 8.0!
    I didn't add any other chemicals other than the Ph minus, and the tricolor my little floating dolphin tricolor dispenser is putting out. What would cause my Ph to go UP when I put in Ph DOWN?

Numbers from test yesterday (except chlorine and Ph, which was today):
    TC = 3
    CC = <.5 (This was yesterday; the test turned just barely pink, and went away with one drop. It was so light, I'm pretty sure if I could have used less than a drop that would have worked.)
    FC = > 2.5
    Ph = 8
    T/A = 120
    CH = 260
    CYA = 30
    Temp = 82
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Ph creeping up

Did you add any high alkalinity fill water recently? That could do it.

A bunch of vigorous aeration, like a gaggle of kids having splash fights, could also drive pH up.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Sierra Vista, Az

Re: Ph creeping up

Your FC or to low for your CYA

PH is high as you know. I would use MA to bring it down to 7.2 and let it aerate back up to 7.8
    It rises quickly because your TA is high.

Adding MA will also help reduce your TA
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process