Pristine Blue

ErinP

Jun 2, 2015
North Andover, MA
I have been using Pristine Blue for 8 years now without any problems-no stains, no green hair, and it's super easy and the pool always looks good. I only put it in every 2 weeks with 2lbs of sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione fast acting shock. I will also put this shock in 1-2 a week when there has been a lot of swimmers/kids and will use liquid shock if there is a dead critter found in the pool.

We are planning on replacing the liner and will be draining the pool and i've been reading up on things and came across info on Pristine Blue and how it's not a standalone sanitizer. I knew this when we started using it and i was under the impression the shock I've been putting in was the sanitizer, but now I'm not so sure.

The reason why we chose PB was my daughter gets very congested, swollen eyes, and sneezes alot when she's swimming in pools that use chlorine. She's fine in our pool except for after I shock it.

Not sure what to do when we refill....

Welcome to TFP! You should give the TFP methods a try. My daughter has allergies and sensitive skin as do I and our water does not other either of us.

Read through Pool School and get a recommended test kit if you don't already have one.

Short answer is that it is not sanitized or safe if there is not adequate chlorine residuals in the bulk water.

There is a reason that Pristine Blue is not an EPA approved method of pool care.

There are quite a few threads that discuss this if you search the forum a bit.

You probably have a high CYA from the shock you add and the pool is not regularly sanitized. It gets sanitized in a large dose that disapates quickly. Using TFP methods you never wonder. You are also not adding extra stuff your pool does not need. All you need to sanitize is bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.