Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pristine Blue

1. Back To Top    #1

Pristine Blue

I have been using Pristine Blue for 8 years now without any problems-no stains, no green hair, and it's super easy and the pool always looks good. I only put it in every 2 weeks with 2lbs of sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione fast acting shock. I will also put this shock in 1-2 a week when there has been a lot of swimmers/kids and will use liquid shock if there is a dead critter found in the pool.

We are planning on replacing the liner and will be draining the pool and i've been reading up on things and came across info on Pristine Blue and how it's not a standalone sanitizer. I knew this when we started using it and i was under the impression the shock I've been putting in was the sanitizer, but now I'm not so sure.

The reason why we chose PB was my daughter gets very congested, swollen eyes, and sneezes alot when she's swimming in pools that use chlorine. She's fine in our pool except for after I shock it.

Not sure what to do when we refill....
    25+ year old inground pool , 16x32 21,100 gallons, new vinyl liner and sand filter. Aquabot pool cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pristine Blue

Welcome to TFP! You should give the TFP methods a try. My daughter has allergies and sensitive skin as do I and our water does not other either of us.

Read through Pool School and get a recommended test kit if you don't already have one.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

What pools did your daughter have a problem in? I am sure they were not as well balanced as the pools that TFPers maintain
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have read pool school and the TFP method seems like a lot of work compared to what I've been doing with PB over the past 8 years. I'm just second guessing if my water is being properly sanitized.
    25+ year old inground pool , 16x32 21,100 gallons, new vinyl liner and sand filter. Aquabot pool cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Short answer is that it is not sanitized or safe if there is not adequate chlorine residuals in the bulk water.

There is a reason that Pristine Blue is not an EPA approved method of pool care.

There are quite a few threads that discuss this if you search the forum a bit.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

You probably have a high CYA from the shock you add and the pool is not regularly sanitized. It gets sanitized in a large dose that disapates quickly. Using TFP methods you never wonder. You are also not adding extra stuff your pool does not need. All you need to sanitize is bleach.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process