Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool Motor has too much resistance

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Motor has too much resistance

I just switched a motor out on a hayward super 2 pump about 2 months ago and now it is humming on start up...checked the capacitor and it is good took it all apart and found lots of resistance once i put the impeller on but when the motor is completely unattached it spins free does this mean it needs a new impeller?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Motor has too much resistance

If the impeller doesn't look cracked on the back where the seal sits, it's most likely the seal itself. You could try lubing it. Did you replace the seal when you replaced the motor?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

yea i replaced the seal should i replace the seal again?

4. Back To Top    #4

Wich part of the seal do I lube (where the ceramic parts touch)? The impeller doesn't looked cracked but i cannot see under the metal part of the seal. Since i already have it apart im thinking about ust replacing the seals and impeller...I didn't think you were supposed to lube pump seals.

5. Back To Top    #5

You are correct. You should NOT lube the ceramic interface. In fact, you are not supposed to even touch the ceramic with your finger according to the installation instructions.

Replacing the seals and impeller might be a good next step.

Also make sure your diffuser is installed correctly. The impeller should not touch the diffuser.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

You can lube the rubber part so it's easier to seat, but be sure to clean the lube off before assembling the seal.

Epro's suggestion about making sure the diffuser is installed correctly is a very good idea.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't think it's the diffuser because it's hard to turn with just the impeller on the shaft.

8. Back To Top    #8

Well I replaced seals and impeller. Motor started then overheated and shut off then smoked a little bit so now I have no idea what to do. Both new and old motors have a sf of 1.3. It is an in ground pool with a DE filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

You made sure to put the same sized impeller back on it didn't you?

The bad news is that once you let the smoke out of anything electrical it's time to replace it.

If the motor is only two months old, it should have some warranty.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

It might be helpful to look at this video. At 4:50 into the video the presenter cautions about putting the seal (impeller) on backwards.

Video
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

11. Back To Top    #11

yea I took the old impeller in and got the same one. I haven't tried to turn it on again in fear that something else could be causing this problem it seems like its just overheating. So I guess the next step is to take the motor in to SCP and try to exchange it for a new one?

12. Back To Top    #12

Just want to make sure I understand correctly. You are saying that the motor shaft spins freely before your screw the impeller onto the shaft, but as soon as you screw the impeller on (and before you install the diffuser), the shaft/impeller is hard to turn. Is that right?

If that's correct, the only point of added friction is at the interface between the impeller seal and the seal plate seal, and that friction should be very low. Again, suggest looking at the video and make sure the seal is installed correctly and that the impeller is not over tightened (hand tight only).

13. Back To Top    #13

Yea I made sure the seals where in correctly there is quite a bit of corrosion on the motor but I still don't see why it's overheating

14. Back To Top    #14

So I've broken apart and put back together a couple of times it starts fine now every time but sounds like it's spinning really fast with out a lot of water being pushed then over heats and shuts off then smoke a little. Bad motor?

15. Back To Top    #15

Are you sure it was the motor that smoked and not the seal?

I would take off the impeller and seal and run the motor solo to eliminate that as an issue.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

16. Back To Top    #16

I have turned the motor on without anything on it but I haven't just let it run in fear that it would definitely over heat. How long should I let it run with nothing on it? I now believe the issue with resistance is solved and it's an issue with the motor. And yes the smoke does seem like it could be the coming from the seal (don't know what that means)

17. Back To Top    #17

A properly working unloaded motor should never overheat. So if it overheats, then there is something wrong with the motor. Also, if a motor overheats, the thermal limiter switch should turn it off.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

18. Back To Top    #18

So I tested the motor without anything on it and it ran for a while fine and then began to smoke so I turned it off. Thanks to everyone for helping me out with this. So what should I do next?

19. Back To Top    #19

Try to get the motor replaced under warranty. At very least you're going to have to replace it, so you might as well see if they'll give you any relief.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

Could it be an electrical issue or would have to be just the motor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast