Torrid journey - need a sanity check

You want your CC to be .5 or less. That is a good sign! However you lost more than 1 ppm of FC so your FC is working to kill something in the pool. You need to keep at it until your OCLT is no more than 1 AND your CC Is less than .5 AND your water is clear.

Chug along. It will be worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So should I do a big 28 ppm shock and dump in 3 gallons of bleach?
It is frustrating because I spent 6 weeks and 1,000 bucks since sacking pool people and thought I had it cracked with consistant readings over a week of fc 7 , cc 0, ph 7.4, /5, TA 80 , CYA 75 , salt 3200, pump down to 6 hours and monitor set to 40%. Now it looks like I need pump on for 10 hours and set to 75% , just to reach and maintain fc 7.
So, if my cc is almost zero, how can there be organics that it is fighting, doesnt that increase the cc as the molocules bind to the intruders? Thx for ongoin help.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

We do not recommend blindly adding a bunch of chlorine (that is the pool store way). You need to follow the SLAM process at the shock FC level for your CYA.

CC do not always appear when something is being broken down because both the FC and the sun can break down the CC.

Right, sorry. I mean using the pool math, I will need to add 3 gallons based on the slam instructions. I am asking, should I do that based on my posts , or wait and see if running the pump more at higher fc for a while, will cure it ? Thx

Ok. Just read the slam instructions again. It seems to imply lots of organics / algae as it says to regulalry brush, vaccum , clean filter etc. And also regularly test and add fc as needed. Picture shows a geen pool. Would it be a fair assumption to make, that mine will be pretty easy with little cleaning / debris as it is already crystal clear, no cc and losing only 2 ppm in night test ?

Also, one think I always struggle on is the CYA test. I mean really , what classes as black dot just vanashing ? If I concentrate I can still see it at 40/50 if i look away and blink and look back. If I relax a bit I get regular reading of 70-80. I just do not understand how there is such a subjective un-scientific and inaccurate way of measuring one of the most important factors.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With clear water it likely will be quicker.
The CYA dot needs to be completely gone ... don't sweat it, the test is only good to +/- 10-15ppm anyway ;)
The SWG is generally off for the SLAM.

Cool. Thx. Just did another full test:
Fc 5.5, cc under.5, ph 7.6 , ta 90 , cya 75. So I think I should drop in 12oz of acid to drop ph then do SLAM this evening. Last question, for now lol, if I add in 12oz of acid the stir a bit with my pool brush, is it ok to then swim ( i.e. do not have to wait for a complete pump cycle ) thx . At least my CSI is .02 , thats something good lol

It's hard to get a good idea of what your FC is really doing if you have your SWG on. It gives a misleading reading. I was recommended to turn off my SWG during the SLAM. Once you pass the SLAM, you will work on the correct settings for your SWG. I currently run my pump with SWG at 50% for 6 hours a day. I have that 6 hours divided up between the 24 hour period. I live in Texas and my pool is in full sun all day. I try to keep my CYA close between 70-80. You'll figure it out with the help of the forum, but first just focus on passing the SLAM. SWG off and pump runs 24/7. If you can't be home and worry about filter clogging, set at recirculate if you have that option. Sorry I can't see your sig on the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi. I have not had a chance to do the SLAM yet, however , I have the following issue that I wondered if there is an answer for:

Based on the overnight test, I lose 2 ppm FC . However, the last 10 days I have my pump running 10 hours at 80% generation. When I test in morning I get about 3 ppm just after pump comes on at 10 am, and when I test at 8pm just after pump goes off, I get 4.5 ppm

Other readings every day are consistant :
CC - zero
TA - 75
CYA - 75
ph - 7.4/5 (has been at this level for 2 weeks without adding acid)
Salt 3200 ( not changed in two months)

Any idea what could be causing such low FC at such high generation levels, and as a side question, although we have had no rain, should salt level be the same over 2 months?

Is it safe to swim in fc 3.5 to 4.5 ?

Thx again

I am positive I replied to this yesterday.

There is something in your water consuming the FC. You are failing the OCLT. You need to follow the SLAM process .... As we have stated many times.

Ok, Sorry to be a pain.

I have just dropped PH to 7.2 , and raised CYA up from 60 - 70 , as I had lost 3 inches of water over last 2 months - thought is was a leak then read that it is normal , particularly here in Florida.

Anyway, I just went to store and bought 3 gallons of bleach - my question is : can I do the slam now at night time, now that no-one is using pool and I have all the levels right? Can I switch off SWG , leave pump running, dump in 2 gallons of bleach and work on the principal that as I only lose 2ppm overnight, then that level over 12 hours will do the trick. I can then use pool as usual tomorrow and run the OCLT again tomorrow night. thoughts? thx

SLAM is not a one time thing. You need to keep the FC up to SLAM level until you pass the 3 tests. It could be a few days or a few weeks. Just keep the level up where it's supposed to be for your CYA and don't let it drop until you pass the tests.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.