Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Outdoor solar shower

1. Back To Top    #1

Outdoor solar shower

Hi
    Have anybody here build a outdoor solar shower ? Have seen that one DIY solar shower but cannot find the black ABS pipe anywhere near me. So I was thinking of using one of the black 55 gallons drums food graded. But not sure if I connect hose to it there will be enough pressure to push the water upwards toward the shower head. Any ideas?
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Outdoor solar shower

Flex poly piping is sold in huge rolls in the irrigation/sprinkler section at Lowes.

Years ago when I worked at a Boy Scout camp, we set up a temporary field shower and tried solar heat by laying coils of 1 poly tubing out in the sun. The first few showerers got scalded, the next few were okay, and everyone else got ice water straight from the well. A barrel will work only if it's sealed air tight and the outlet is at the high point. Open the shower and let all the air bleed out and let it heat up. If the hose can push water up that high by itself, the barrel is just a wide spot so it will work.

Personally, what's wrong with finding black garden hose? It's already got fittings on it and if things don't work out the way you hope, you at least have plenty of hose to use for other stuff.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Basically it takes a lot of space and does not look as clean as other things
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

4. Back To Top    #4

The ones you can purchase allow you to mix the hot water with tap water for temperature control. That's worth a couple hundred bucks instead of getting scalded at first, at least IMO...
    15k in-ground plaster, Hayward C900 cartridge, 3/4hp single speed pump, Barracuda G2 cleaner, TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbrig View Post
    The ones you can purchase allow you to mix the hot water with tap water for temperature control. That's worth a couple hundred bucks instead of getting scalded at first, at least IMO...
    I spoke to my wife. And since we have two young kids we decided to buy one.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

6. Back To Top    #6

The one in the first post is similar to one I built, it in my pool thread. Works pretty good if the day temps hit 80 deg, you will get at least 10 min of warm water.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.